Weekend getaway destination around LA, TX, AR?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Josh and I would like to go out of town for Valentine's Day since we have that following Monday and Tuesday off from school for Mardi Gras. Last VDay we went to Dallas but both ended up getting the flu,
. It would have been a lovely trip, but we spent most of it in our hotel room hopped up on cold meds,

So, any suggestions in the Louisiana/Texas/Arkansas area? We were thinking New Orleans, but since it's Mardi Gras it's going to be crazy expensive and more of a "Wohoo! PARTY" atmosphere rather than romantic. And Hot Springs, AR is probably out since my parents live there and we go there about once a month,
. So any suggestions? We're looking for no more than a 5-8hr drive since we'll be leaving Friday after I get off at six. We live in Shreveport, Louisiana which is in the NW corner of the state. Something pretty low key but with nice restraunts and some touristy stuff. And if we could get by with pretty inexpensive, yet fairly nice, hotels/B&B in the area.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lafayette, LA! We didn't stay in a hotel because we were in the RV, and technically the campground was in Scott, but it is an amazingly interesting area! I'm sure there are B&Bs - and I don't know about Lafayette, but Scott is holding its Mardi Gras day parade on Feb 7, so you may be past the Mardi Gras crowd in that area???????????

But you can tour the McIlheny plant (Tabasco!) on Avery Island - there is a drive through gorgeous botannical gardens also there http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco_histo...ery_island.cfm (I guess it's called the Jungle Gardens, but the camellias are amazing - and it would be a romantic afternoon strolling around there if it's nice out), there's Enola Prudhomme's restaurant, the Cajun Cafe - which is AMAZING (and a lot cheaper than Paul's) just north of Lafayette... You can visit the Chretrien Plantation, take a tour of the Atchafalaya Basin swamp ... Don't know if it's still there, but Hebert's used to have a retail outlet somewhere near Scott or Lafayette... (http://www.hebertsmeats.com/index.asp) ....and assuming you enjoy cajun food, so many of the little "dive" looking places have the MOST amazing food.

We loved, loved, loved Lafayette!

Oh - and if you feel like swinging by the KOA in Scott, they used to rent "driving tour" tapes, where you take your own car, and it gives you directions and talks about the local history or architecture - they were good fun.
(If you're interested, I'd call ahead to see if they rent them to non-campers).

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, Lafayette and south to Houma would be interesting. How far are you from Beaumont/Port Arthur?

You could make it to Waco, which has a few attractions, such as the Texas Ranger museum (the law enforcement guys, not the baseball team), a very old suspension bridge, etc. You could eat at Buzzard Billy's, right on the river right next to I-35.

Nacogdoches is a nice tourist town, too.