Week Old Kitten. What's Wrong With His Belly??

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help! I've never seen this on a kitten before. What's wrong with his belly?

0821172315a.jpg
He Did not have this a couple days ago. It's where the umbilical cord Was. Should I take him to the emergency vet right now or wait until morning to have him seen? Anyone know what it is??

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take to the emergency vet. It looks like it is infected where the umbilical cord was... let us know what they say!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, looks infected. Clavamox should clear that up.

Please update!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went aheas last night and have him a dose of clavamox. I had some on hand from his 2 siblings who passed with pneumonia. His belly is looking much better this morning, and I just gave him another dose. He has a vet appointment this afternoon just to be on the safe side, but his tummy looks much better already, and I'm so glad. I really don't want to lose anymore in this litter. Also thankful I avoided the emergency vet, I lost my job last week, my car broke down yesterday and I already have a $400 outstanding bill with the emergency vet. X.x

I'll update again when we get back from the vet. Thanks guys!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you started the clavamox, and even better he is responding. He should be okay after a full week of clavamox.

When it rains it pours! It comes in 3's, so consider this your third and final bad luck issue! :)

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Life has been so hectic for this little one. His belly healed up great but last night their surrogate mama became suddenly ill and had diarrhea all over the 3 babies. I found them when I woke to check on them at 5 this morning and the poor little guy was soaked and Ice cold, unable to move or focus his eyes. It had only been 4 hours since I checked on them last, its starting to feel like every time I close my eyes something goes wrong with a kitten under my care! 3 hours in the warmer at the emergency vet, and a warm bath later and he is exhausted but warm and alive! I've resumed full time care of the babies ensuring they stay warm and fed, and now I have to figure out what's wrong with poor mama! I'm running a fecal over to the vet today as soon as I can. In the mean time the vet has suggested I restart all kittens on clavamox in case they have whatever mom suddenly has.

Belly all better!:
15043742244781651990058.jpg

Staying snuggly warm with sisters while regaining his strength:
15043743098261739806522.jpg

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am supplementing milk with KMR. Although the little guy hasn't wanted to eat much yet. His sisters are though. They have a heating pad under those blankets and are in a room with a space heater that I use to keep the room nice and toasty. I've been keeping a very close eye on them. I've been too worried to go back to sleep or even let them out of my sight yet.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. I was seriously sleep deprived when mine were that little.
Sending you vibes that he picks up soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Thanks for the quick action on your part to save the baby.

Continue giving him formula if he's not nursing.

What meds do they have mom on?

An anti-diarrheal would help in the meantime. She may need a round of metronidazole.

I hope things are better soon!

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were waiting to get the fecal results back before putting mom on a med. I am trying to give formula, but I'm starting to get worried because he really doesn't want to eat and he won't latch onto the bottle like he used too. I try to put just little dabs in his mouth at a time to make sure he's swallowing and not inhaling but he actually fights and tries to slap the bottle away. :/

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to feed the kitten with a syringe or he may not make it. He does not have to suckle to get food through a syringe like he does with a bottle.

Try to get 1mL into him every 1-2 hours.

Will he nurse mom at all?

When do you expect to hear from the vet about mom?

Does she continue to have diarrhea?

Is she eating well?

goldsberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's doing much better guys! I had to feed with the syringe the first 8 hours or so but he's back to suckling from the bottle with his siblings now!

0904170244.jpg

Mom is eating and drinking, diarrhea is intermittent. She clearly doesn't feel well though. While the kittens are willing to nurse from her she is unwilling to nurse them right now. I'm not sure about hearing back because of the holiday. The emergency vet is open I know but I don't know of the lab they sent it out to is? I will call in the morning to check. The sample was sent out Sunday so hopefully if the lab was/is open I will have results tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does mom have fever?

Does mom have mastitis in her mammaries by any chance?

This can make a cat very ill.

I'm concerned about the mom.