Week Old Kitten Not Eating Anymore

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Helloo

So I'm raising a kitten, he's a little over a week now and everything has been going fine. There have been some really big problems with feeding him previously, he always sucked on the bottle too hard and milk came out of his nose or got in his lungs. Yes, it was scary but I got him a new bottle with a smaller hole and things were okay for the first few feedings. The hole is as big as I can make it without him nearly drowning himself, and even now it is an occasional concern.

Now he literally refuses to eat. He will eat maybe 3ml but then he just refuses the bottle and instead has this habit of sucking on my hand for a very long time. It is cute but it also isn't getting him any milk and I'm concerned because that's all he wants to do now - he just outright refuses to drink from the bottle.

He hasn't been eating very well for the past 6 or so hours because of this and I'm getting pretty worried. I've tried wrapping him in a blanket, putting the milk on his mouth to show him, holding him, etc. and he doesn't seem to care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To clarify, he will occasionally latch onto the bottle but I do stop him a lot because of the multiple previous incidents where he has almost drowned himself. I know it probably interrupts him but there's not much else I can do.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a vet near you that you could bring him to? Ideally one who has experience with young kittens. Kittens that young are vulnerable to infection, so that could be the reason that he has lost his appetite.

PurrsInParadise

Purrs_in_Paradise
Kitten
Purraise
I would also consider getting a miracle nipple (can be found on amazon). I’ve had better luck with those than other nipples. The hole is already cut, so you don’t need to worry about flow. However, your kitten needs more immediate help, so a vet is a very good idea.

1claire

Tabby Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I would suggest that you visit your cat's vet to further know the reason behind his loss of appetite.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried with a little syringe or s dropper? More difficult for you in the beginning, but may be easier for him.

Can you get pedialyte? Flavorless clear pedialyte for children is best. This is the last line of defence but with very weak kittens its sometimes possible to buy extra time.
If he is just weak smear sweet water with white caro syrup or honey on his lips and gum.

Last. Not all vets are knowleable on weak small kittens. So if there is one whom is ecperienced take him. macabres macabres

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello - he is not weak at all, just stubborn. I've found that if I fuss with him long enough (like 30 minutes) he will eat how much he is supposed to, but he just has this weird habit of "nursing" on my hand instead of the bottle & crying when I make him stop.

I was confused because it was so random that he decided to do that, and i didn't know if it was normal & how to make him stop lol

I would also consider getting a miracle nipple (can be found on amazon). I’ve had better luck with those than other nipples. The hole is already cut, so you don’t need to worry about flow. However, your kitten needs more immediate help, so a vet is a very good idea.
I will probably get these, thank you! It seems like no matter how small the hole I cut is he always manages to drink too quickly so i've been wanting a precut nipple.

Have you tried with a little syringe or s dropper? More difficult for you in the beginning, but may be easier for him.

Can you get pedialyte? Flavorless clear pedialyte for children is best. This is the last line of defence but with very weak kittens its sometimes possible to buy extra time.
If he is just weak smear sweet water with white caro syrup or honey on his lips and gum.

Last. Not all vets are knowleable on weak small kittens. So if there is one whom is ecperienced take him. macabres macabres
Yes I originally had him on a 5ml syringe which was great for the first few days, but then it became a huge problem because he drank the milk very quickly.

I have Pedialyte and I will give him it if it seems he is getting dehydrated. He is sick with some bacterial infection but he is taking medicine, and it hasn't altered his appetite before.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps.
3 Ml for an infant at one meal isnt that little. How often are you feeding him? The recipe on label is often too seldom meals! Every two hours is ideal, about 3 ml each time here, depending on the actual weigh... How much does he weigh? Does he gain each day? About 10g a day is good, may be more too.

If necessary even more often but less each time. For example with these real weak.
So his nursing on your hand MAY be the usual comfort nursing?!

Does he have a furry doll to snuggle with?

macabres macabres

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, how often are you feeding? I wonder if he’s getting too hungry in between meals.