Wednesday's Question of the Day: strangest foods?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are some of the weirdest foods you've ever eaten?  I tasted cow brains when I was a kid, my dad told me it was scrambled eggs. 
 We had tongue once in a while, it was pretty good. I've tasted frog legs and snake, and also ants in chocolate. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Black pudding in Ireland. :cringe: I didn't know what it was.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're pretty standard around here, I think....no really weird stuff. I love stuffed pig stomach. And beef heart. Gosh, I haven't had a roasted beef heart in a long time. Both are PA Dutch foods. Especially the stuffed pig stomach. Yum!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tripe, the lining of a cows stomach. First and last time as well  :nausea:
:evilgrin:...hey what about your KIPPERS ?...:fishy:...:lol3:...don´t you love it?...:lol3:

I think once I ate a bit of Tongue...:nausea:....:dash: NEVER Will do again!....:thud:

Last edited:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cow tongue with a friend at a 4-H "survivor" themed camp. She ate some too.. it was pretty gross and now I do not like roast beef as it was like it but fatty.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had haggis in Scotland - and actually liked it! (Once again, trying not to think about what it was.)

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it would be Frogs Legs while living in San Diego and dining at a restaurant.  You know what, it really did taste like chicken. It wasn't my order, I just tasted some from a friend.  While in Italy it I ate fresh shrimp, while that is not a strange food, it is when it still has it's head on.  I didn't care for that look at all, they are ugly actually with their black beady eyes.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kombucha, a beverage.  but there's a food that looks odd like kombucha called "natto" and supposedly even healthier. I love health but  I don't care to try - It looks grotesque.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In October, I had civet cat coffee to celebrate my 50th birthday.  For those who don't know, that is coffee that is made from coffee beans that have been eaten, digested and poo'd out by the civet cat (a weasel-like creature) in Asia.  It is touted as the rarest and most expensive (and delicious) coffee in the world.

It was WONDERFUL!!!  If I were a zillionaire, I would drink it every day.  Alas, at a dollar a gram, that is prohibitive.  Definitely something for a special occasion, though.

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see.

We were very poor when I was growing up.  If it wasn't for my brother and I raiding gardens we wouldn't have had fresh vegetables. Some of the things that we regularly ate because it was cheap:

Cow tongue

Liver

Beef heart

Chicken feet, heart and gizards

Head cheese (yep, made from the pig's head sometimes)

Pig's feet and pork hawks

Pig's ears

Pigeon pie (yep, real pigeons)

Pig's skin (roasted until it turned into pork rinds)

As an adult I've had the following:

Octopus  (will eat again)

Squid  (will eat again)

Frog legs (won't eat again)

Haggis (won't eat again)

Chocolate covered ants (won't eat again)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
In 1983 I caught the 'slow boat to china' - literally; it went from Guanzhou in the south to Shanghai.  It was like stepping back in time, and I think we were the only Westerners on board.

Because it was so cheap we thought we'd go first class, which meant, amongst other things, it had extra delights on the menu. 

However the jellyfish for breakfast was a little more than I could handle.....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not very crazy in the food department (And I prefer to keep it that way, after looking over some of the things on the lists above :lol3:)

I think the "weirdest" thing I've ever had was goat at a BBQ. I'll preface this by saying my oldest Brother-in-Law owns a construction company, and a lot of the guys who work for him are natives of Mexico. One of them apparently killed a whole goat and roasted it for our 4th of July BBQ for family and friends a few years back. (And I mean they slow roasted the WHOLE goat! It was so creepy watching it cook!). I wound up having some the leg meat though, and it was pretty tasty! ( My sister was hilariously unfortunate, and they tricked her into eating some of the not so tasty parts :flail:)

Last edited:

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose the weirdest thing I have eaten is prairie oysters aka calf fries, not bad and would eat them again. I spent my whole life eating 'werid' foods - love beef heart, tongue, and liver. liver and gizzards from assorted fowl tame and wild, most game and tame meats except for bear. I actually miss seeing beef tongue in the meat cases as it makes a lovely stock and, if properly cooked, it is a very tender and flavourful piece of meat. .

Apparently, the oddest thing I eat are artichokes and have been asked by check-out clerks what one does with them; have also seen people avoid them and look at them like they are from some alien planet. My mother was an adventurous gardener and tried almost anything that would mature in our short growing season and she tried articholes one year and kept on with them for several years after.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Haggis is good! I've eaten some pretty strange things, including snails, frogs' legs, crocodile, kangaroo and rattlesnake, none of which I found particularly tasty.