Wednesday June 12 DT

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I thought that I would start the DT as I am now caught up on the site. I was off sick yesterday with migraine and asthma issues. Toronto had a head and smog advisory in affect yesterday - it was extremely humid. They said that with humidity it was 37 degrees C or about 98 F. The air was so heavy I had to stay indoors in air conditioning. I feel better today as we had a nice rain storm last night to coll thing down alittle, but my lungs still hurt. Anyone have any big plans for father's day this weekend. I am having about 12 people over for dinner. We'll start with my salsa cheese dip which is to die for. Hubby will smoke ribs and chicken. We'll team that with potatoe salad, coleslaw and baked beans. I just have to figure out dessert - I am thinking either ice cream pie that I will make or lemon layer cake. Maybe I'll bake something else.

spooky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.
Its cooler here today-only in the 70s and a little foggy. I've done all my work that I had to do already, so now I'm bored. Maybe I'll start to read a book later. My family is going over to my grandparents house for Fathers Day for a BBQ. Addy-it sounds like your gonna have fun on Sunday. The food that you are making sounds good. Your cheese dip sounds like it is really good...whats the recipe?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like quite a spread and a lot of people! I hope you all have a good time and your headaches stay away.

I am so very excited! My best bud just got a job in McMinnville which is about a hour and a half from my house. She has been living in Lake Havasu so now she is moving to my area! Yippeee! We have known each other forever, and she is the one who survived the bad bout of breast cancer. But now she will be so close again. I can't wait!

I have prepared the critters for the heat that is supposed to hit today. It is supposed to get up into the 90's! I dumped some koolaid into Racer's trough to encourage him to drink the water more than he has, and this morning actually walked back to our creek to find it all dried up.
I had to laugh, all of his pasture toys were in the middle of it! He has been busy while I have been recuperating!

The Mckenzie clan is doing great. I left a cookie sheet of gruel for the kitties to play in today to see if they might eat it. I am sure I will go upstairs to a mess in a few hours, but even if the kits eat a little of it, it will be worth it. I am hoping to get McKenz spayed the middle of July.

Everyone have a great day.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's supposed to be cooler here today, only mid-70s. Hubby and I are going to a concert tonight. Blast from the past show - Winger, Cinderella, Faster Pussycat and Poison. It was hubby's birthday present from a friend of his.

No plans for Fathers Day. My dad is up in Canada on a fishing trip. That's about the best Father's Day he could get.

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well hello everyone! I think I'll give a little update since my life has been oh so busy lately.

Hot and Humid as usual in good old Houston, Texas. It will stay this way for the next 4 months. We need rain and if keeps up the way it is, in the next month we will be put on water restrictions. Kinda odd since last year at this time we had Tropical Storm Allison.

Well, my refrigerator and washing machine both decided to die at the same time. So we had to buy new ones. I think they were plotting this.

We have found out through a notice that came to our house that our landlord hasn't been paying his home owners association dues and if he doesn't pay the $492.92 that they are going to forclose on the house (yes, this is legal in Texas). I don't know if many of you are familiar with home owners associations but here in Texas if you want to live in a subdivision you have to pay fees, and they aren't cheep. You also can't do anything to your house without approval from the association (like painting your house, putting on a new roof). We have forwarded the notice on to our landlord so, we aren't sure if we are going to have a place to live come the end of the month.

Hope everyone is well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Spooky
Your cheese dip sounds like it is really good...whats the recipe?
It is really easy to make. It is also easy to make different amounts depending on the # of people you are trying to feed.
I normally Make it with 3 bricks of philly cream cheese - that is enoung for 10 to 15 people depending on how much they eat LOL.

Soften the cream cheese (I leave it out overnight to get to room temp)
For each brick of philly add 1/2 a cup of mayo, 1/2 to 3/4 cup salsa and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of grated cheese (I use medium chedder. Mix it all together (I do it by hand - it is alot of work but I find it clogs my mixer).
get a deep bowl and press a layer of chedder in the bottom. Sppon the cheese/salsa mixture on top and even out the top. Spread a light layer of Salsa on top of that and follow that with a light layer of cheddar. Chill and serve with tortilla chips.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am taking a break from my exhausting class this summer to actually post in the DT. The homework is a killer for this class. Wouldn't you know that the last one has to be a back breaker? Aside from twice weekly sessions, for which there is homework to prepare for a quiz, I am in the middle of plodding through a 10-page paper that is not oozing out any too easily. That's due Monday. On top of that, I received my Comprehensive Exam topic in email today. That has to be a 20-page paper that touches on all of the coursework I have done during my masters.

My former mother-in-law passed away yesterday, so I will attend her funeral on Friday.

In the good news department, my principal called me today and said that my prospects of getting a promotion of sorts at school this fall is looking very positive.

That's my life. Now if I can get this to post without the pain-in-the-neck computer freezing up, I'll really be in good shape.

cheryl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like Spooky said, cooler and foggy in Chicago today. I work about half a block from the lake, so it's really cool and foggy here. I can't even see the top half of the John Hancock (tallest building in the area where I work).

Quiet day at work. I'm working on annual reviews for my staff--all two of them. But it's a good excuse to close my office door and do some serious web-surfing as well.

falling_rain21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nice day out here-in the high 70's. Cloudy though. Figures on my day off!
Oh well. I think for Father's Day, I'm just visiting my dad and probably having dinner with the folks. I still don't know what to buy him! Guess I'd better find something quick. Hope everyone's day goes well.

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welp.....

It's Kinda nice here although the humudity is high at the moment, it's suppose to rain, but you never know with the weather folks we have on TV here, so the chances of really finding are better if you just look out the window.

I got back from Arizona Monday evening, and am soooo glad I don't live there any more! I had to fly out there Saturday morning as my Dad is hanging on by a thread and I wanted to be sure to say my goodbyes to him while he was at least semi coherent. Actually, and I know this might sound bad, but I wanted... no felt... like he might need someone of his own blood to tell him that it's okay to go.
He's been fighting prostate cancer for a number of years and it has spread through out his body. He's also developed some other sort of cancer which has to do with muscles, I don't know the name, but at the moment he's just being kept out of pain. He has hospice care come over 3 times a week, which as of Monday, will be every day.
He knows his time is short and wants to go, he can no longer walk, even with a walker, eats very little.... he deserves to go.

So I told him how I thought he had raised all of us boys right, and his legacy is knowing that we pass him onto our children, so he will be around forever.... I hope this makes sense...

Im just klinda venting cause im a bit stressed about it at the moment.

Saying goodbye, WAS THE WORST........ for both of us, we both could see it in our eyes that it would be the last time we would see each, at least on this earth.

So now I wait, call every day to see how he is, dreading a phone call in the middle of the night, where my brother will tell me that my Daddy has gone.. Even at my age, he's still my daddy...

Ken

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ken-
I don't think it's bad that your Dad wanted his own family that it was OK to pass. My Mom fought a 2 1/2 year battle with colon cancer, and was very aggressive in searching out new treatments. I think she got so wrapped up in fighting to live that she forgot that death is a part of life, too. She waited to pass until after her mother came to say goodbye. We had all told her it was time to go, and I believe that helped her make her passage.

I'm very sorry to hear about your father. Your family is in my prayers.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ken, I am so sorry. I lost my father when I was 30. I didn't really believe it could happen. Not my daddy. Daddy was 81, but I didn't have him that long. It wouldn't matter though. If you were 75 and your father was 95, your heart would still ache. It's so hard. I kept thinking he was alive and I just didn't know where to look for him. Then I realized! Of course he was alive and well again-in heaven. I know you will mourn, but the ache lessens with time. God bless you and your family.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ken, I too, sent my prayers in this trying time.

Well, the weather today is nice and in the 70's! Been working on my Word. Will be done with school in about two weeks, so I am very busy!
Have a great day!

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know a simple thank you doesn't even being to say how much that what you've posted touched me...

Sometimes words are hard to come by...

*smiles*
Ken

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ken, you and your family are in my thoughts. I lost my mom to cancer a little over 2 years ago. It is so hard to see someone you love and look up to in that condition, and to have to say goodbye. I remember thinking that that wasn't my mother on that bed. That was a frail baby bird, not my mother with all the strength in the world. It's a difficult thing, but I think it is worse when you don't have the chance, or take the time because of denial or whatever, to say goodbye.

Hang in there. We're all here for you.
(That's as close to a smiley hug as I can find.)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Ken, I'm sorry to hear about your father! This must be a very stressful time for you and your family - my heart is with you all!

It's almost 1 AM now - and as the AC is off at the study (it's on in the bedroom
) I think I'll call it a night.

If you have a minute, please check out my post at the SOS forum:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...&threadid=8921

Thanks!

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm chiming in a little late here, but I just wanted to say that my heart goes out to you Ken
You, Sandie and Kylee are always in my thoughts but particularly so now during this very difficult time. Take care...

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ken~

Your post was quite moving. Reminded me a lot of my dad's final days almost 2 years ago. My thoughts are with you at this trying time and always.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your dad, Ken. I'm 44 and it would just about kill me, to lose mine. It doesn't matter how old you are.

missyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ken,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Father. My Mother passed away in February and I still cry daily. It does not matter how old you are, because we never feel our age when we are with our parents. I never felt completly grown when I was around my Mother.

My heart goes out to you and your family. You will be in my prayers.