Web site with calculators for raw feeders.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! 

I've thrown together a web site to be a central location to find calculators for the needs of people making home-made pet foods.

Currently there is only one calculator, for figuring out how much meat and organs to add to bone-in meat to get the bone content down to what is desired.

I'm planning on adding more calculators but need some help in knowing what would be useful for people. I'm planning on a freeze dried/fresh calculator and one to show equivalences between various calcium sources (eggshell, bonemeal, MCHA, etc).

I would love to get some suggestions from you guys for what other calculators would be helpful. You can post here or pm me or use the 'Contact Us' feature on the web site.

Calculators For Pet Raw Feeders

And be sure to let me know if you see any problem with the current calculator or any I put up in the future.

Edit: The link didn't work at first because I misspelled the domain name. It's fixed now.

Last edited:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for this!!  I've bookmarked it.

This might be a lot of work, but incorporating your program for figuring out supplement requirements for different types of meat grinds would be fantastic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be a lot of work, but incorporating your program for figuring out supplement requirements for different types of meat grinds would be fantastic.
Unfortunately that is a fairly complicated program. Converting it to a web program would take many months of work.  I'm afraid I just don't have time to do that.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Mschauer- I needed this. I am floored to know that for every 5 lbs chicken or turkey grind from HT I need to add 7.40 lbs of ground boneless to even it out. Man that makes it so much more expensive! I may have to just go with boneless. Yikes.

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, what language is your calculator written in? I was thinking of writing my own, but maybe I could help you convert your other calculator to a web program instead (if you're interested).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much Mschauer- I needed this. I am floored to know that for every 5 lbs chicken or turkey grind from HT I need to add 7.40 lbs of ground boneless to even it out. Man that makes it so much more expensive! I may have to just go with boneless. Yikes.
Surprising isn't it? I think most people grossly underestimate how much meat is needed to dilute the bone. 

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just out of curiosity, what language is your calculator written in? I was thinking of writing my own, but maybe I could help you convert your other calculator to a web program instead (if you're interested).
It's in C# and WPF. Thanks for the offer to help but it would be a massive project. I've been adding features to it for years.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI: The Freeze Dried/Fresh Calculator is up.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this! I decided to go the boneless route both because of how much additional boneless was required to dilute the bone in grinds properly and because my cats currently eat Rad Cat which doesn't have any bones. 

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great tool, thank you so much! I am currently feeding my cats commercial raw and canned, but am considering attempting to make my own raw (once I purchase a freezer for the food!).