Weaning tips?

cassandranc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!  I have 3 foster kitties with a healthy appetite that just refuse to eat solid foods.  They are 4.5 weeks and I haven't been able to convince them to even try anything other than pate.  They won't eat dry food even if it's soaked in water or formula and mushed.  I know there are differing opinions about whether wet or dry food is healthier for a kitty- but since I am just their foster and they will be adopted by someone who may want to feed them dry food- I need to get them used to both.

Advice is welcome!  PS- here they are eating an extremely messy breakfast.  :)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are smart.  Pate is the healthiest thing for them.  Forever.  And at only 4.5 weeks old, they are only just beginning to eat solid food anyhow, because mama should still be nursing them, so I would not expect them to eat dry food at all yet.  I don't think you need to teach them to eat dry food just because you are a foster.  They can go to their new home eating what they should be eating, and if the new parents want to change their diet, that is up to them.  You can give them copies of some of the articles about what is a healthy diet for cats, and then they can make their own choices.  I'll send you some links by PM.  As a rescue, I always started my babies on pate and they have had no problem adding some dry food later, but all my adopters do feed wet food as the first choice.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassandranc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, thanks! And thanks for the PM