Weaning Off Phenobarbital - Any Experience?

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi fellow cat lovers:
I have a question. My new vet wasn't thrilled with my cat being on Phenobarbital for an old urinary tract blockage and wants to put him on Prozac. No way am I putting him on that! I need to wean him off and wondered if anyone had any experience and (non) medical advice, what to look out for, etc.
Thanks for your help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm not a member who has experience with this, but I was wondering, is the blockage cleared? Why is your vet suggesting prozac?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, he was cleared of the blockage years ago, but with the occasional out-of-the-box peeing (on me in bed!) the vet put him on Phenobarbital. He was fine on it, but my new vet wants him to change to Prozac to eliminate the peeing on me. But what I have done, is place a very light sheet of plastic over the bed at night (behavior mod) and he hasn't peed since. So, not gonna use the Prozac.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think what you're doing with the plastic appears to be working, so yeah I too would stop the drugs!!

You can ask the vet about the best approach for weaning him off of it. And, just let the vet know you want to try no drugs for a while to see what happens.

Once that is done, I hope there are no adverse affects with him!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!!

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FebysOwner: Thank you for your support! Yes, gradual weaning is best as this is a psychotropic drug. He's on a full dose until next week, then 1/2 for 2 weeks, then 1/2 every other day, then 1/4 until it runs out.
I wonder if his personality and activity will change?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless his personality changed after being on phenobarbital, it probably won't change after he is off of it. But, then again, he was having other issues at that time, so I am sure you really don't know for sure.

Is he rather subdued now? If so, could stay that way because that is just his personality - or, you might end up with a 'wild' cat on your hands (in a good way)!!

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, he has always been the "Philosopher"! Quiet and tolerant, he has been so mellow all his life - even when I rescued a kitten - he just accepted it. So far, no ill effects from the weaning! Yahooooo!