Weaning Kitten Refuses Cat Food

micah mcdaniel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in 2 pregnant moms, and within 3 days was the proud step mom of 9 kittens. When weaning time came, one kitten, "Moo Cow", refused cat food. He also refused cat treats. The kind that ALL cats go crazy over. They contain Taurine, an essential amino acid that all cats need for healthy vision and healthy hearts. Cats crave this amino acid and thus crave these treats. Moo Cow took one sniff and walked away. He did the same thing when he smelled kibble and wet cat food. The only thing that appealed to him was Goats Milk, Mozzarella cheese and Virginia Glazed Ham. And you can't fool him with honey glazed, or any other kind. It has to be Virginia glazed.
He is now 4 months old and this is still his diet. He is licking bricks, so I am supplementing him with a vitamin-mineral supplement, and I am going to order Taurine online. Has anyone experienced this phenomenon and what have you done about it? I took him to the vet but he just looked him over and said he appeared healthy. With 9 kittens, we decided to start blood work and running tests might be hard on me financially. I already have had the 2 mom's spayed and vaccinated, and the babies wormed and I am sure more vet visits are to come before homes are found for all of them. It is kitten season and I am going to be rather choosy about the homes they go to. I live in a rural community and abuse is high in certain areas. It's just a way of life for some. The humane society is overwhelmed and encourages pet owners to be patient with adoptions. Please respond if you have ever come across a case like Moo's.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is how we got our kittens to eat as well, we mixed KMR with the wet food, eventually they preferred just the wet food.