Weaning and Litter Box Training

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had little Phoenix (foster kitten) since he was 3 weeks old, he is now 5 & 1/2 weeks old and is showing no interest in eating on his own, nor using the litter box.  He just goes where ever in his crate.  He is drinking 3/4 a bottle every time I feed him.  I am mixing a/d and KMR and blending into a liquid.  I have tried my 'normal' weaning tricks, putting it on their feet, putting on his face, putting in his mouth etc and he's not interested in the least bit.  He had a severe respiratory and eye infection, in fact he has probably lost his right eye.  But he is doing so much better.  I even had to tube feed him for 4 days to get him through it. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some do their best at resisting eating from a dish, that's for sure!

When he is good and hungry, put his chin up to a shallow dish of a/d smashed with the kmr so it's thick but can easily be lapped up.

Don't give in too easily and give him the bottle.

Be relentless about it and he should take to it, like it or not :)

Litterbox, put his poop in it, and when he wakes up and after he eats, stick him in the box and sort of dig his feet in it. The instinct should kick in as they are born with that naturally, to cover/hide any scent he leaves behind from predators finding him.

Sometimes they're tougher when they didn't have mom during the period of watching and learning from her, like right about when he went to you.

Good luck, he's a sweet baby!!