Weakness and weight loss. Suspected to have diabetes

RageSa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got so weak and thin in the past couple of days.The vet told us that it's dehydration. But it seems like there is a deeper cause to his weakness.
A friend suggested that it could be diabetes.
Please tell me the symptoms of diabetes in cats

Symptoms he has:
Weight loss
Weakness
Discomfort in his limbs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RageSa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
+ He doesn't have diarrhea or vomiting
+ He's been consuming enough fluids too
Which is why i couldn't believe that it could be just dehydration

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ravenous appetite with weight loss
Increased drinking and urination

Did your kitty have bloodwork and a urinalysis done? That would really be the only way to know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RageSa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He didn't have any bloodwork they told us come after a few days as he's too weak

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Similar symptoms to Human diabetes: excessive hunger, excessive water drinking and a huge urine output to match, the urine is sugary smelling and very sticky to scoop out of the litter box, weight loss. Some diabetic cats have neuropathy that affects their hind legs. A cat with neuropathy walks on the hocks instead of the toes as in this picture:

1626536511183.jpeg

Blood work needs to be done but not on a cat who is dehydrated. If you pull the skin on the back of the neck up as far as it will go and let go, does the skin snap back into place immediately or does it stay tented and slowly fall back down? That is one way to check for hydration.

If the vet is not giving you any answers, take your cat to another vet. Be proactive in your cat's care and insist in having blood work and other tests done to determine why your cat is weak and losing weight.

aleeming

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got so weak and thin in the past couple of days.The vet told us that it's dehydration. But it seems like there is a deeper cause to his weakness.
A friend suggested that it could be diabetes.
Please tell me the symptoms of diabetes in cats

Symptoms he has:
Weight loss
Weakness
Discomfort in his limbs
Get to another vet. If the vet thought it was just (it's never just) dehydration then he should have given fluids (easy to do subcutaneous fluids, I do it at home). This is an emergency and the vet sounds useless.