We Lost Our Oldest Cat Today

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is with deep sadness that I have to tell you we lost our beloved cat, Chico today. He was the grand old age of 22.

Chico walked into our lives in the summer of 2000 not long after we'd moved into our house. He was approximately 10 weeks old. He immediately attached himself to my then 13 year old son. Attempts to find an owner proved fruitless and this was before Facebook and social media was a thing. What we did notice, and found unusual was Chico had a small piece missing from the top of one of his years. It was a perfect semi-circle. We found out later how he came to have that and who his original owner was.

She was a woman who lived in our street. Let's just say she had severe mental health issues both drink and drug fuelled and was known for being violent. One of my son's friends came over one evening to tell us his mother had found out who Chico's original owner was - and how he came to have the piece missing from his ear. Apparently, the "owner" cut the tip of his ear with a pair of scissors "so she could identify him". Suffice to say, Chico was never going to be returned for his own safety and I reported her to the RSPCA. They paid her a visit a couple of days later - I saw their van outside her door. When I spoke to them on the phone they wanted to know where he was and who we were. I told them simply that I would not divulge that information but that the cat was safe with us. A couple of months later that ghastly woman moved out of the area never to be seen again.

Two years later my son suffered kidney failure. He was born with a genetic hereditary condition called Alports Syndrome. He spent years on dialysis, was in and out of hospital for so many operations, I've lost count. He had the dialysis machine (peritoneal dialysis) at home. In all this, Chico never left his side. When my son had his first kidney transplant in 2008, Chico wouldn't sit or lie on him like he usually did but instead, curl up next to the operation site and purr. When all was healed up, he would be back in his favourite place. He did the same when my son got his second transplant in 2018.

Even though Chico was very old, he was still fairly active until 2 days ago. He still groomed himself, used the litter box (but did sometimes miss because he'd gone blind with age) and was always first at the food bowl.

We knew he didn't have long for this earth and discussed whether to have him PTS or let him pass naturally. We chose the latter so long as he wasn't suffering as we felt taking him to the vets would have been more distressing for him. We also felt that Chico would prefer to pass with those he loved and who loved him.

My son awoke today to find Chico had passed peacefully in his sleep, curled up in his favourite spot, tucked behind my son's knees.

Chico was so loved by my son from the day he walked into his life till the day he left to go to Rainbow Bridge. He joins our other old cat who we lost a few weeks ago very suddenly (she was at least 17 that we know of). My ex-husband (Ian's father) passed on the 21st March. I know he will look after them until we can all meet again as despite our differences and divorce nearly 30 years ago, he was also a great cat lover.

Chico was unique, a one-off. I know my son will never get another cat like him.

Rest easy Chico. You were a true fur angel 😢

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for your losses. I am glad Chico was able to pass at home beside the one he truly felt a cause to 'protect' - your son. There is just about nothing more on earth that one can ask for - both for your son and for Chico. :hugs: True partners in life. Chico may not be physically present to continue his calling, but he is doing so anyway, and your son will know that in heart and mind.

If you choose to do so, continue your story of Chico and share some pics if you have them. It will just make me cry more, but that is OK, I would love to see Chico if you are willing. You can also tell us about your other dearly beloved cat that you recently lost if you have not already done so in another thread. :hearthrob::redheartpump:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
How wonderful that Chico found you and was there for your son during some of his toughest times with his touch and his purrs. Dearest Chico, well done, buddy. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Chico when he was young and had just come in from a hunting expedition (although he never actually caught anything). As he grew older he, like the rest of my cats became an indoor cat.

PICT0005.JPG

This is Tia. She had been living rough on the streets, being fed by various people in another area of our town. The lady who had been feeding her most wouldn't let her into her house as she had her own cat and a young child. The strange thing was, she would only let me take the cat if I adopted her myself so to get Tia (I gave her that name) to safety - she was already old, our vet thought she was around 12, maybe more and wouldn't have survived another cold winter, I agreed and when I give my word, I don't break it. Tia had 5 good years with us and became quite a lap cat. She passed very suddenly. One day she was fine, meowing for food, the next day we noticed her sitting in the litter box (my son had not long cleaned it so it was clean litter). When he picked her up, her back legs were limp so we think she had a blood clot. She passed peacefully a few hours later.

DSC_0021.JPG

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the pics and more information! Every cat deserves a tribute and their story to be told. It is often that we don't do that with living pets or humans - just part of life, I guess. But lest we forget/overlook the tributes in life that are mostly in our minds - we can at least let them be known more explicitly once these precious souls have passed.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Twenty two! What a tribute to yourself! The fact that both of these kitties passed under your roof fairly peacefully says I am sure a lot about the way you cared for them. Gentle rivers took them away after long lives…it doesn’t ease the pain of their loss, but knowing they did not suffer must be of some comfort to you, I hope. That lady who insisted you adopt Tia must have seen into your soul. They both looked like very trusting, sweet animals indeed. :hearthrob:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for the loss of Chico and the others in your life. You cannot know how much your story touched my heart. I watched a similar relationship between my daughter and her kitty. Cats are amazingly in tune with those they love and Chico was there for a reason. I believe his energy will always be there with you and your son. My heart goes out to you and to your son. I don’t know if you are a religious person but angel or loving guardian, Chico was a very special kitty.
15A738E2-CC1E-481A-9F08-2E6504BCA4EF.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Chico, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on your family's hearts forever.

What a wonderful life Chico had, and, in the end, what a gentle passing...he dreamed he was young and free of ills, and woke to find it true! This is the Deepest Truth I know...that love never dies, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his new home in That Place Where All Things Are Know, Chico blesses you and your son for every day of your love for him, and he sends his Love back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! 22 years. Chico must have been loved and cared for a whole lot by your family to have reached that age. I am sure he also has many wonderful memories he brought with him, and thanks to you especially your son.

I hope you find strength amidst this loss and grief. I hope and pray in time you will have to remember Chico with more of a smile than of tears.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please accept my condolences, i pray you can take comfort knowing dear Chico passed peacefully at home surrounded by all he loved. It is a testamont to that love and the care he received, to account for his great age!
The bond of love between your family and him is a strong one after so many years, it will sustain you through this time of sadness. You are so lucky to have such a great love, the happiness of having him in your life will eventually bring you comfort, he lived a full happy life.
He runs and jumps once again, perfectly healthy and young, with those who have passed before him. They will wait at the Rainbow Bridge to be reunited with you in the distant future.
Time is the only thing that helps with such a loss, it takes time to move forward and make a new lifes order for yourself without him in your home. But he will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers because love is spiritual, so eternal.
Take care, my thoughts and prayers are with you.....RIP precious Chico. You will always have a secure place in loving hearts, you will be dearly missed. May the Good Lord bless and keep you, untol you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful story, thank God you got him away from that woman and he had a wonderful and long life thanks to you! He lived it to the very end with you, and passed with the people who loved him, what a way to go on to the next life.

I know it is hard and so heartbreaking, but you did a wonderful thing all those years ago, and you will meet again one day and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for the loss of that grand old guy, I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, God Bless...:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard when all your cats are in the elder age. They never leave you, the love you shared will always be on your mind. Take care.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences to you on your loss.

What a life Chico had! 22 years, and so many of those happy ones with you and your family.

I know that is no consolation when you have lost a friend that you love so much - grief can affect everything - much love to you and yours.