We Have 4 Cats But One Of Them Has Fpv

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'm sorry but I couldn't really find the answers via the search function.

We currently have 4 cats (Sabin - mother, 3 kittens from her Pickles, Panda and Poppy). Since yesterday we noticed that Pickles started vomiting up bile and wouldn't really eat nor drink. She didn't really play much either. We took her to the vet today and they told us that she has Feline panleukopenia FPV.

They told us we should bring in the other cats for a check up, which is what my wife is doing right now (I'm currently at work). The vet told us we should sterilize everything the cat used. In terms of cat toys, cat trees, beds, etc. They seem impossible to sterilize. Is it better to throw it away?

Any suggestions would be greatly helped. Currently have no idea what to do. Pickles will be staying at the vey for the next 3-7 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that the kittens now cats are a year old now. I still keep referring to them as kittens.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it's a good thing they are actually 1 year old...the younger ones have a harder time recovering from this. With good care, she may recover.

How about the others? Do they have it? It is very contagious, so I wouldn't be surprised. Did they not get their kitten shots though? I thought this was part of their kitten boosters, protection against FPV. Of course, nothing is 100% :sigh:

As for cleaning up, here is a thread on it: How To Clean My Bedroom From Panleukopenia Virus. As you can see from reading that, most people advise tossing everything the cat has used and starting over, but in your case since all your cats have already been exposed, I would talk to your Vet and get their advise on exactly HOW to sterilize everything, particularly since I'm guessing Pickles has been in every corner of every room in the place.

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FPV vaccinations are not mandatory in South Korea, but all of our cats did get their shots for it... so I don't know why or how they contracted it.
Panda just started throwing up yellow bile, which was the symptoms Pickles showed. We threw away most of the toys and beds, water fountain we cleaned with bleach solution. Vets said we could try use a bleach solution spray for cat trees.
Both my wife and I are extremely upset... where we live the vets dont stay with them when they close...

Is there anything else we can do for our other cats?

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They also gave us a spray that is meant to kill the virus. Which we have been using on all the surfaces we could think of.

We tested all our other cats for FPV yesterday and all of them came out negative. But the vets did day there could be false negative results. The only time the cats would've been exposed to FPV that we could think of is when we took them to the vets last Friday to get them de-wormed and microchipped. They are strictly indoor cats.