We caught Tuxie Montague!

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will try and make this as brief as possible.  We have been working for a few years to gain the trust of a cat abandoned by previous tenants. It took two years to gain his trust however we could not take him in due to health issues of our cats and an already packed house. Well long story short we had no choice but to take him in . I am in negotiations with a trusted friend, she may take him.The vet checkup will have to wait a couple of weeks. We are keeping him separated. My question is, if he gets crazy unruly and meows super loud (which he was doing a few minutes ago)whats the best way to keep him calm or get him to quiet down. We moved a couple of days ago and even our own (which of course I now consider Tuxie "one of our own" too) are having a hard time adjusting(non stop meowing the first few hours). Turmoil turmoil. My normally calm house is in chaos. I know I must not let him out because he will bolt and never trust us. The apartment we lived at is facing demolition soon(to pave the way for $$$$ homes) and we couldn't fail Tuxie and leave him behind like his previous owners but we must keep him quiet while we find him a place.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have access to Feliway adapter?   There are also other preparates of roughly the same function.

Also, calm relaxing music may be tried.  Classical harp music is best.

Speak a lotsa with soft friendly voices, make soothing  nice noises...  Cats understand such a  language.    So for example, friendly courting toms use it.

Good luck!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get some Composure liquid max or Composure feline calming treats.  Some cats don't like the treats all that well, but the liquid can be mixed in their food.  There are also other calming treats out there that can be found at many pet stores, but I have no idea if they work.  The Composure treats work very very well.  They help to settle and calm upset, nervous and aggressive cats.  During periods of great stress ( like what your cats are encountering) it's best to double or triple the dose.  If you cannot find Composure at the pet store, it is readily available online and also many vets carry it.  You don't need a prescription for it. 

Thank you for rescuing Tuxie!!!  I hope everyone settles down soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
great! i will get all of the above on Saturday I hope. We were stressing out bad over Tuxie when we heard we had to move. Several people, including us had tried trapping him in all different sorts of traps and then we all gave up. We figured we would just spend the rest of our lives living there at trying to gain his trust lol. Then we were all told to move and all hell broke loose. About half the block is getting demolished and everyone scrambled to stay in the area. Luckily we are now in a building with 3 other tenants from the block and one of our coolest former neighbors from several years ago (who also rescues strays) came by to look at one of the remaining vacancies. He actually came back to see if his old apartment was available and was shocked to hear of the upcoming demolition. Most of the tenants had been there 10 to 15 years and one even 20 years.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm sure Tuxie will appreciate it. On Thursday I will order some of the items online

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great advice from StefanZ and ShadowsRescue. I can only imagine how upsetting the sudden move is for all of you, especially Tuxie. So glad you were able to catch him! You are a sweet angel 
for working so hard to not leave him behind. Please let us know how things work out for Tuxie.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuxie is doing better now. I have been giving him Rescue Remedy and spending time with him. He seems to be adjusting well. I'm hoping to take him for a checkup soon. As a quick and cheap idea to start socializing Tuxie again,we bought a lightweight screen door and have started opening the door to the room he's in(for most of the day).He used to sit on the porch at the old apartment and hang out with our cats (ours are indoor only)so he does know them already.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have grown very attached to Tuxie. We were heartbroken to see him sit at the door of vacant apartment of his previous owners when he first got left behind.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Great to have an update.. That's so good that things are going well for him.

It must have been heartbreaking, but he's landed on his feet now.