We can't agree on a name for the baby! Help!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mark got his name, in the delivery room. We wanted a girl and the only name, that we had picked out was Amanda Marie. When the doctor said, "Its a boy," I looked at Mark and said , "Oh, s***! What are we going to name him?" That's how he got his father's first name and my maiden name.

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should name him after a videogame character

Kazuya Mishima
Jin
Bryan
here are my favorite regular names:
Brandon

Chris
Jason
Matt

-Brandon

kittywarden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Well, I am due in less then 3 weeks now and my hubby and I are no where near naming this child. We are having a boy. The funny thing is we have no problems agreeing on a girl's name (it would be Robin Allison), but we can't agree on a boy's name. I really like the name Grant. John doesn't like names that are also last names, so he doesn't overly like Grant (or Logan). He likes the name Kevin (which I don't mind, but not my number 1 choice). He also likes Andrew, which is his middle name. I like Andrew as a middle name, but not a 1st name because I don't like the nickname Andy (which in a Scottish family he would get). I have also suggested Timothy and Kenneth (which is my dad's middle name). John just brought up Aaron yesterday.

Help!!!!!!!!! Please help me by giving some suggestions. The last name is McFarlane, so it has to go with that.
Why not name the boy
Robin Alan. I have a nephew that is named Robin and it doesn't seem to bother him what his name is. The Allen is just a name that went under the A but I have know an Alan too. This is just my suggestion. You will know the right name for him when it is time to name him.

Congratulations and post details when you have time after he is born. I do have a little advice for you after he is born though Rest when he is Resting and enjoy him.
for the baby from all of us.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm surprised I haven't seen Ian (or Iain, if you prefer) offered yet. How about Ian Andrew McFarlane?

And, of course, be prepared for him to name himself after you've "definitely decided". I was going to be Diane, until I made some silly face that reminded my Dad of my Mum's brother Frank, who had died the previous year.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the J names

Jarred
Jordan
Jorge
Jeremy
Joshua

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I'm surprised I haven't seen Ian (or Iain, if you prefer) offered yet. How about Ian Andrew McFarlane?...
I was going to suggest Ian, (Ian means John) but Ian Andrew is hard to say because of the two last letters of IAN and the first two letters of ANdrew. IAN ANdrew. But I like Ian.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've always been fond of Celtic names, some of them have already been mentioned:

Ian
Patrick
Declan
Colin
Daniel
Aidan
Quin
Rory

Just a personal preference.

Let us know what you decide!

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I vote for Cameron too. That is my oldest son's name. He has a TRUE scottish name. He took on my maiden name.. so.. it's Cameron Thompson.

I also like....

Jonathan
Travis
Jeremy (my cousin's name)
Tyler
Howard
Henry
William (Soo classy)
Richard (or Richie)
Jonah
Xavier

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rory How I love that name and Cory to mmmmmmmm

Ok heres my list

Rory
Corie ( My grandsons name )
Christopher ( My sons name ) I would drop the Ch and use K
Adam ( My sons name )
Shane ( My soninlaws name )
Tristen
Baliey
John or Jonathon
Ian ( My uncles name )
Owen
Damin ( I love this name it was going to be my grandsons name
but the called him Corie in the end )
Eric
Bartholemue ( my brotherinlaws name )

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like some of the suggestions already made - Aidan, Rory, and while this may sound plain, my suggestion is Matthew.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Erika, I like the name Jamison!

My guess is that when you see the child you may be able to pick his name easier! It makes it kind of rough that your hubby doesn't like names that are also last names. But Andrew is a cool name. I also like Alexander and the nickname Alex. Of course Alexander could be a last name too. Kelsey is cool (like Kelsey Grammer). Graham is cool but I have to disagree with another poster that it is not a common last name. I was married to a Graham and there were WAY to many of them!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My tip..do not reverse the middle and first names, I was Katrina Denise up until I was married .. and good grief.. I was eternally called Katrina the first day of school. I didn't know I was Katrina until roll call first started.. ugh!

Please put the name which you refer to your child with in the front!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nephews name is James andrew

No stealing names now!!
We're naming our son, if we have one, Vincent Ambrose

And we're naming our Daughter, if we have one, Robin But we don't know the middle name yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions. I have mentioned many of them to my husband. We had been referring to the baby just as Junior, but lately when he has been kicking i have been trying out names. I say "Settle down Grant Andrew!" or "Mommy is trying to sleep Kevin Alexander". My poor husband didn't like it when I called the baby Stanley Oliver last night. I told him I am just trying things out.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's anything to go by... I'd avoid using names that are too ambiguous... things like Leslie, Traci (which by the way I have to say is hidious for a boy, in my opinion), Lindsay etc. From what I can see it seems to screw up a child's perception of their own sex - many of them are teased really badly at school for their names. I was teased for my own surname, because although it's a standard name where I come from... it isn't in Scotland! So I stood out really badly as an English kid. I'd go for good strong names, names that a kid can grow up with... something suitable for all ages... if you can see what I'm trying to get across (man I'm not very good at this explaining thing!) It needs a lot of thought... but don't stress out too much eh?