"we Can Make Good Food With Bad Ingredients"

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm this article seems to be written in an attempt to persuade pet owners who are turning away from big brand pet foods to consult with their vets (who will likely recommend hills, Purina, or royal canin) and to only feed foods from companies with PhD or certified nutritionists on staff (only companies that can afford this are again hills, Purina, and RC). Seems like a ploy to me to try and get consumers to continue feeding big name brands. A desperate ploy too since we know that over the years sales for these companies have dropped as consumers are educating themselves on the poor quality of these brands.

Importantly, the author is Lisa Freeman, someone who has worked with Purina in the past, and Purina also funds the Tufts university organization on which the article is posted. Lisa freeman is an outspoken anti-raw vet. I would take what she says here with a grain of salt.

I also don’t like that she assumes that consumers are so dumb and misguided that they shouldn’t try to inform themselves but should rather just blindly take advice from people with credentials next to their name.

If a human nutritionist told me not to read ingredient labels I would laugh in their face and never take their advice again. That is just ridiculous.

I like what this response article has to say: Does Vet Damage the Reputation of University?

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
What a joke. It's like the old-timey adverts with doctors saying, "This cigarette is good for you! I have a white coat and letters after my name, listen to me."

I mean, she's literally upset people are reading ingredients!?!?
Oh, the horror. Let's all just go by the pictures like good little lemmings.

Edit: I just had my boyfriend read it too, and now we're both pissed off. :D

Last edited:

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nked-to-heart-disease/?utm_term=.825196e2cc21

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/180801e.aspx

I think Freeman is part of an ongoing investigation regarding a possible link between grain free foods and cardiomyopathy. Some brands they discovered contain high percentages of legumes (lentils, peas, soybeans, green beans, chickpeas and garbanzo, to name a few) and/or low amounts of taurine.

Her article wasn’t completely useless imo, she’s urging consumers to take a closer look at the grain free trend and not miss the forest for the trees. Peas in dry for example are meant to help with constipation issues, not cause any kind of diarrhea and definitely not replace protein in a major way. Unfortunately she missed the point entirely when she began her article saying people shouldn’t read labels..

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nked-to-heart-disease/?utm_term=.825196e2cc21

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/180801e.aspx

I think Freeman is part of an ongoing investigation regarding a possible link between grain free foods and cardiomyopathy. Some brands they discovered contain high percentages of legumes (lentils, peas, soybeans, green beans, chickpeas and garbanzo, to name a few) and/or low amounts of taurine.

Her article wasn’t completely useless imo, she’s urging consumers to take a closer look at the grain free trend and not miss the forest for the trees. Peas in dry for example are meant to help with constipation issues, not cause any kind of diarrhea and definitely not replace protein in a major way. Unfortunately she missed the point entirely when she began her article saying people shouldn’t read labels..
She’s mixing up several different issues and inserting facts where it’s convenient for her to make her point. Yes, the grain free trend needs to be questioned, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t read ingredient lists and blindly trust authority. The issue of where ingredients are sourced from is also a completely separate issue.

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
“Yes, the grain free trend needs to be questioned, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t read ingredient lists and blindly trust authority.”

I’m confused. What exactly is her point in stating certain facts? and why exactly are you quoting me? Your post repeated some of what I already said with different wording.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
“Yes, the grain free trend needs to be questioned, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t read ingredient lists and blindly trust authority.”

I’m confused. What exactly is her point in stating certain facts? and why exactly are you quoting me? Your post repeated some of what I already said with different wording.
I’m not sure what her point is. You’d have to ask her. I’m saying that she’s confusing separate issues. She’s using the argument that grain free is a trend to tell consumers not to read ingredients.

The point of quoting you is to have a conversation.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

purrsnickety purrsnickety , since you're a new member, you might not be aware of this -- when you click Reply on someone's post, the entire post you're replying to automatically appears at the top of your reply. Like yours does here in mine. :)

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
purrsnickety purrsnickety , since you're a new member, you might not be aware of this -- when you click Reply on someone's post, the entire post you're replying to automatically appears at the top of your reply. Like yours does here in mine. :)
Thanks, yes I did know :sunshine: I didn’t want to have to quote the entire post and then again highlight what I meant. Usually I don’t cherrypick, it takes things completely out of context but I did mention I was confused by her post since I’ve read the article and stated my POV.

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure what her point is. You’d have to ask her. I’m saying that she’s confusing separate issues. She’s using the argument that grain free is a trend to tell consumers not to read ingredients.

The point of quoting you is to have a conversation.
“She’s mixing up several different issues and inserting facts where it’s convenient for her to make her point.”

I was referring to this sentence on your previous post. I don’t have a problem with the article. Usually if I like a post I’m merely adding to or making convo I’ll praise the post. Your post was indeed confusing to me since you didn’t seem to agree—which of course is fine. :)