Wax On Cats Fur

dvards

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat stepped in wax / candle wax that was cooling down and now her foot is covered in it. Does anyone know a good way to get the wax off her fur? I tried a warm bath with burt’s bees pet shampoo but no luck getting it off.

thanks in advance

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think it would break apart on its own. A bigger concern would be that the wax was hot enough to burn her paw pad. If there is any sign of soreness I would get her to the vet. To get the wax off you could try rubbing an inch cube over it and then trying to break it apart. If that doesn’t work you could try something oily like mayonnaise or salad oil that might allow it to slide off.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice from susanm9006 susanm9006 . If it was a beeswax candle the warmth of the cat herself should make it easy to remove. If it was a paraffin candle the ice cube should do it, assuming your cat will tolerate it. I'd use olive oil rather than mayonnaise; the oiliness may help to release it (especially if you've managed to break it up a bit first), but you don't want to encourage your cat to lick it as mayonnaise would do.

Physical therapists regularly use melted paraffin to supply deep heat to arthritic hands, so unless your cat seems to be in pain (rather than simply annoyed at having something stuck to her foot) I wouldn't worry too hard about a burn.

Margret