*Waves hi* I've found a pack of ferals :o (or they've found me!!)

blueberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thought I'd come and say Hi after reading a really good blog about socializing feral cats and seeing a link to this place..

I've found a gang of ferals! Or rather...they've found me. They're all about half a year - 9 months old... I know this because I saw them in the front garden of a derelict house the next road up from me with their mum when they were first-born, I called the RSPCA and thought it would all be ok. But they obviously never did anything!!!  I assume it's them as these cats are the right age and colourings and coming from the direction of the still derelict house. Gah. :(

There are at least four surviving young cats... and they're all quite feral. (Two black skinny fluff balls, one tortoise-shell VERY shy girly, and one fluffy whispy ginger and whitey)

They've recently redone most of the gardens around here (mostly housing association owned here, not ours though) so the gardens are now without hedgerows and trees..

Last week I saw the ginger and white fluffy one staring intently at me through the window from our garden, I opened the window and chatted to him, and he didn't go away. He looked SO thin and my heart went out to him. He sat staring really intensely for aaaages (Husband is allergic though so I ummed and ahhed)

I saw him again the next day and thought 'oh sod it!' and crept slowly out with a bowl of tuna (in springwater not brine/pickling stuff!! :eek: ) and put it out. He stared at me from under the trampoline (three young kids, eep!) but didn't come any closer. I crept back inside slowly and left him be. He gobbled the lot and ran off.

Yesterday he was back! And this time when I opened the door with a bowl of sardines he ran at me with glee! I was amazed as the other cats run away terrified if you look at them across the street! After about an hour of sitting still next to him and feeding him he...rubbed up against me!! So I stroked him, and he purred, I needed to go back inside because the kids had grown bored of watching us through the window (lol) and he followed me inside! 

I left the door open and he kept running out every time he encountered a new thing (child/rotating chair - holy moly!/TV - YIKES!) but he kept on coming back and let each child stroke him... he even let us play with a quickly cobbled together fish-pole toy! But seemed perplexed about it not staying dead and stalked it like an ace lol.

We kinda decided we're going to keep him.. except we had to put him outside in the night as he's a bit...ridden (you know what I mean) and I had nothing to catch him in for the vets and no de-flea/worming provisions/empty room (!) and he hasn't come back today...

Do you think he will?! We've been watching for him all day!

Any tips!? I'm not sure what to do about the other kitties :(

(PS that's him in my av - he fell asleep on an old sheet and cushion in the kitchen!)

Last edited:

iris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I would say is that he is unsocialized and not feral. Seems to me he has made his decision..but you must trap him and get him neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Iris! 

I plan on doing just that :D I didn't have the means before though, as we're not currently cat owners!

It's really funny that he's unsocialized but willing - but his brothers and sisters are very feral! I saw him and his black sibling grooming each other on the fence, so they're definitely close!

The cats protection league give out vouchers for getting ferals neutered... but I'm not really sure how/if I'll be able to capture the others :eek: then they return them to their area. The RSPCA say they do not take healthy stray cats for rehoming!!! How silly is that 'We collect sick or injured stray cats but identifying genuine strays is a challenge and due to lack of resources we do not normally collect healthy stray cats.' 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He came back this morning and over the course of about three hours of garden play decided to come in and fall asleep in his box we'd made up for him. He hasn't left yet! My little girls have been playing so sweetly that he has forgotten about wanting to run away! 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELCOME to TCS!!!! :clap::clap: You have been CHOSEN :lol3: This little one sounds like a love and most likely has had human interaction before. All kitties have such a wide variance of personalty traits and they are all SO different. I had a 7 month old feral cat purr and allow pets on day two after her trapping - so they are really all different. Good luck with neutering - the sooner the better so he doesn't start to roam.... and breed! Hoping you can get the others trapped at sterilized as well so no more kittens. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: