Watson has crossed the bridge.

sherrylynne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
24 years, 6m, 6 days old. We had him from the time he turned 6 weeks of age as mum had repeatedly rejected him. Owner forced her to nurse a few times a day as well as supplemental bottle feeding. She finally had him completely weaned onto wet foods by the age of 6 weeks when we took him.
He went into convulsions suddenly. He'd been...not good, for a few days. Not wanting to eat much. Still drinking and pottying. Not wanting to walk much. Weakness. He'd recovered from this exact thing 4 times in the past two years. I'd simply bring some pureed freeze dried raw several times a day, and 3 or 4 days later the cat we thought actively dying would suddenly meet us at the door like nothing was wrong. So why would this time be any different? Until the convulsions. Even then, I was thinking "oh, he is just trying to get back up, and legs jerking. Refusing to realize. Thank all the gods my husband told me "We can't do this to him". I reluctantly agreed euthanasia may be an option. I realize now, I didn't want to admit it was the end for him. He was old. He was sick. And he was Tired. And I didn't realize it. Or more refused to realize it. Husband forced the issue. Thankfully. Because I was selfish enough I don't think I would have been able to make that decision. Because ever since I have had a hollow place inside, other than a center of pain in my chest. We bury, so in the winter they go into a freezer until the ground thaws. And the hardest thing physically I have ever done was close that freezer door. I can't even go into it to get meat out now. He has to do it. I can't. And I miss him so very much :'(

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Wordless, sharing your grief. 24 years is astoundingly long -and says SO much about how well you looked after him- but never ever long enough. Write him poems, hug your husband close, please share photos or more Watson stories if you want…we are here. He will always be with you. Always.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrylynne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His thumbs were amazing. His dad was a polydactyl manx. His mum a brown tabby. He took her colouring, and his paws and tail. But he had a half tail. Half length, with a crook in the end of it <3 When she first brought him over, he was still on kitten milk, and I swear his mouth was bigger than his body as this wee mite would run all over the kitchen, head back, YOWLING! for his milk twice a day lol. He would literally use those thumbs and try climbing chair legs etc to get up to us at the table :) He was also able to "chase" my pit bull off the bed. He would climb on top of her, and keep jumping back and forth until she was irritated enough to sigh and climb off the bed, then he would happily climb onto my chest snuggle up and go to sleep lol. Think about it. a 6 week old kitten chasing off a ful grown pit bull lol. He was...amazing. And he was MY cat until we brought Oskar kitty in. He never quite forgave me for that, and turned to my husband instead and became his after. He would turn from a sure thing of cuddles with me for the chance of attention from him. Which always happened. I guess I am having a problem understanding why HIS death is hitting me as hard as it is. My husky Sal broke my heart when she had to leave. My heart ferret Boris stole a huge piece of me when he asked to be let go. But Watson? I really think this has broken me. And as much as I grieve every single animal we have lost, it has never been this bad before.And I guess I am just trying to understand why.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. I just lost a cat of 5 years, and you of 24+ years, Wow! You gave him a life filled with care and love, and I am sure he knew that.

The pain of grief may not go in a few days, or even weeks. It may take time. But please know that we are here for you. As mentioned above, you may write a poem, a song for him, or write about his story. Or you may just cry - just to lessen the pain and sadness.

Watson was a stunner. Such handsome cat! He looks like my Bourbon, just mine is a female version.

If ever you need someone to talk to, anyone of us is always ready. Just send us messages should you wish to.
Hang in there.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Watson, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart for ever.

What a Grand Old Man he was, is, and always will be, and what a lovely, long run he had! But...where there is love, an eternity is not long enough, is it? This is the deepest truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. And now, from That Place Where All Things Are Known, Watson blesses you, and he sends his Love back to you (as did Those Who Went Before) to walk with you down through all your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, you miss him, you always will. Try not to dwell on the end, though I know right now that is impossible, use your memories to remember what a sweet, sweet boy he was. In times like these, I always hold on to that famous saying, "do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened." He gave you over 24 years of precious memories and gladly gave you a treasure in this life....a cat's love.
He shared your life's journey for so long, and though now he follows a new path, keep in mind this path will forever parallel your own, he will never be far from your side. He will live on through you now. He is as close as you thought and prayers. He is at peace because he carries your love with him.
Although it broke your heart, you made the right decision. You could not let that sweet boy suffer. You ended his pain and took it on as your own. you will be blessed for your compassion.
My thoughts and prayers are with you, let yourself take the time, as long as it takes, to grieve the loss of someone from your life. But what he gave you, what he shared with you is so very much more important, celebrate what he brought to you, not what he took. it takes a long time to mend a broken heart, but in time it will realize he is always there, tucked away in your soul. He will always be a part of you.....take care. RIP beautiful Watson. You will be dearly missed, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Last edited: