Watery Eye And White Gloop

MistyandMilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey, my can’t milo has developed a watery left eye over the last 24 hours :-( with a little bit of white dishcharge. I have attached a couple of pictures. He’s not bothered by it, and it’s not pink as far as I can tell just a bit glazed over. What should I do? Vets?? Or wait?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If it were me, I would err on the side of caution and take Milo to the vet. It could be a number of things, from a scratched eye (does he go outdoors, or have cat playmates?), to the beginnings of a respiratory infection, to something entirely different.

In most cases, these things don't go away on their own and need some sort of treatment. I hope it is nothing - or nothing major - but it's better to be safe than sorry.

solowars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey, my can’t milo has developed a watery left eye over the last 24 hours :-( with a little bit of white dishcharge. I have attached a couple of pictures. He’s not bothered by it, and it’s not pink as far as I can tell just a bit glazed over. What should I do? Vets?? Or wait?
By glazed over do you mean the eye is cloudy? I can't really tell from the photos. If your cat's eye is cloudy, like there's a film over his eye or a white spot in his eye, please take him to the vet immediately.

If his eye is clear and the only symptoms are watery / white discharge, it could be something irritating his eye like a stray hair, or a bacterial/viral infection (or allergies!). If it doesn't get better by tomorrow, you should take him to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyandMilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies and advice. We took Milo to the vets. They had a look and it was a bit swollen and said she couldn’t be 100% sure if there was something like debris in his eye or a scratch but she was thinking it’s Conjunctivtis. He now has antibiotic drops, which worked pretty well straight away. He’s had a long nap.... and the eye is a bit gooey again but I’m sure the drops over the next few days will work.
The eye wasn’t cloudy just a sheen to it if that makes sense. Like if someone had been crying ....
thanks again everyone

MistyandMilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, no they didn’t , she gave us the drops and said it should start to get better in 3 days, if we don’t notice any improvement by then, we should go back.
She said it was a little too swollen to check properly. If it is scratched, what can they do?
He’s an indoor cat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's scratched, they will prescribe a different treatment. I always make sure to get a stain for any eye issues. Is the weather changing in your area? Could just be allergies.

MistyandMilo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahhhh ok, if it’s not better I will ask them to do that , thank you, I didn’t realise.
It’s been super windy but he’s an indoor cat.
Maybe I’ve sprayed something different. He likes to sit by me when I’m getting ready in the mornings! Maybe it’s that.
Thank you for your help.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitties are also indoor only, but they still have issues with weather change and seasonal changes. Just something to take into consideration and monitor if it flares up again.