Water Works

travel dude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings. We have three 6 month old siblings. They were introduced to a cat water fountain months ago without issue. They drank from the fountain like normal felines. Now, all of the sudden, one cat wants to play with the water splashing it everywhere. I do not know how to correct this behavior without making him water shy by him thinking he’s getting in trouble and won’t drink water.

Suggestions please.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a similar problem with my girl cat a few weeks ago. I increased wand toy sessions and added some enrichments such as more toys (spring toys) and boxes for her to play with. That stopped the behavior. For now.

This thread might help.

How do I get my cat to stop playing in his water?

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its just a cat thing, Indy actualy pushes her bowl across the room spilling it everywhere and Kabuto will flick the water fountain with his paw sometimes. Put a dish drying mat under the fountain. They are designed to soak up water and dry out.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably something the kitten will outgrow. I would get a deep lip tray to put underneath it - Even a shallow brand new litterbox might work to keep the water contained.