Water Torture

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don’t seem to have an issue. When Sybil had crf I bought her a ceramic fountain and she loved it. It was tons of work keeping it clean. Quinn didn’t really drink from the fountain he drinks from a small glass, and he likes that.

That has been a tradition for a long time ever since I brought home my Tess. And my parents started her drinking out of glasses because she tried to drink their martini, lol. So successive cats often like to stick their head into a thin glass and drink water out of it including Sybil, and others. They seem to think it’s some thing special. They also prefer mom’s water, and will drink out of my cups, which include big tea mugs, and regular glasses. I also once caught Sybil drinking out of the toilet bowl, or trying to, and I think Byron did that too 😹

Now I have a soup/ cereal bowl of water that is on a tall ceramic dog water dish for Zena and Merlin. Fred and cinnamon have two soup bowls that they drink from.

I was thinking maybe I should just get one gigantic bowl but it would be too big and nowhere in the kitchen to put it…I have to worry about it getting knocked around by the robot vacuum. And it’s also too heavy for me right now.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While reading this thread from top to bottom again this morning after refilling the water bowls, I thought of all the generations of cats that weren't catered to as much as ours are now! I am so tired of spending money and giving away what I buy. I could have opened a store this year with all the stuff she turned her nose up at. While the new auto refill machines sound enticing, I think I will try some wider bowls I can find in the house. I will also try and find something that floats in place of ping pong palls.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While reading this thread from top to bottom again this morning after refilling the water bowls, I thought of all the generations of cats that weren't catered to as much as ours are now! I am so tired of spending money and giving away what I buy. I could have opened a store this year with all the stuff she turned her nose up at. While the new auto refill machines sound enticing, I think I will try some wider bowls I can find in the house. I will also try and find something that floats in place of ping pong palls.
Perhaps you could check out your local Buy Nothing community? BNProject | Find Your Community

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For awhile the bowls I used were old wider-at-the-top mixing bowls, various sizes throughout the house. Then my GSD and I were playing in the house and he accidentally slammed into it, made it hit the wall, and cracked it. Oops. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For awhile the bowls I used were old wider-at-the-top mixing bowls, various sizes throughout the house. Then my GSD and I were playing in the house and he accidentally slammed into it, made it hit the wall, and cracked it. Oops. :lol:
German shepherd dog? GSD ?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
He sticks his whole head right into the fishbowl!

We got a Siamese Fighting Fish (male Betta) to keep Casper entertained. Turned out he didn't give a hoot about the fish. He just wanted to play in the fishbowl and drink. When the fish died, we cleaned out the bowl and kept it filled with clean water because we knew it was one of the cat's watering spots.

The watering can? Only God knows why he likes drinking from an old watering can! Again, he sticks his whole head right into the can!
We keep the watering can on the bottom shelf of the plant stand in the living room. We don't put any Miracle Grow or other plant food in the water, anymore, because we know it's a watering hole for Casper. That, too, we keep clean and full of water just because of Casper.

I know that your cat doesn't like to get her whiskers tweaked and that's why she doesn't drink as much as she needs to. A cat sticking its head into a watering can or fish bowl is probably going to get its whiskers tweaked. I get it. The idea I'm thinking of is to offer more, different, water sources in various places around the house. Maybe that'll entice your kitty to drink more.

One thing I learned is that cats don't usually drink water from the same place they get their food. We, humans, often put their food and water bowls in the same place in the corner of the kitchen, etc. That's all well and good but a cat in the wild doesn't catch a mouse then immediately take a drink from a water bowl that is at the ready. A cat in the wild will have its own watering spots in different places.

When Casper started drinking from a fishbowl, a watering can, the bath tub or some other bowl in a random location, I remembered that tidbit of information and we started keeping his water in different places like that.

Lo and Behold! Casper started drinking from all those spots and, finally, we took up his water bowl from the kitchen because he rarely drank from it.

I wonder whether offering more and different water sources, all around the house, might be the thing for your cat, too. :)
The LitterRobot is in an unused bathroom, my cat found it within a few hours of bringing him home without me showing it to him, I just let him loose and he has used it ever since. The food bowl is in the hallway and the water fountain is in the kitchen in a corner. The walk to the various places is the only exercises he gets as he refuses to play with anything, even a laser pointer is of only slight interest. A true couch potato, sitting on me any chance he gets.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The LitterRobot is in an unused bathroom, my cat found it within a few hours of bringing him home without me showing it to him, I just let him loose and he has used it ever since. The food bowl is in the hallway and the water fountain is in the kitchen in a corner. The walk to the various places is the only exercises he gets as he refuses to play with anything, even a laser pointer is of only slight interest. A true couch potato, sitting on me any chance he gets.
Daisy’s much the same! She and Phoebe will cavort for a few minutes at night sometimes, and she’ll leap up on high furniture, but that’s it. Most of her time she sleeps.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The watering can? Only God knows why he likes drinking from an old watering can! Again, he sticks his whole head right into the can!
I would prefer this. My cat‘s fascination with the watering can has her repeatedly sticking her paw in and shaking it, all over the room.