Water On The Side With Wet Food?

Kyashasu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I am feeding my cat wet food and I add water to it each time. I read that more moisture is good, especially since they absorb the majority of water through what they each. I started feeding her wet a couple months ago and had a water fountain going since I switched her from dry food. I haven't seen her touch the water fountain since I started her on wet food. She has looked in there every once and a while, but never drinks( The water level would go down like normal...but I think that was because it evaporated, but I am not sure). I would hear her drink out of the fountain one or two times a day when she was on dry food.

Did anyone else's cats do this? I took the fountain away and have a small bowl of water, for the last couple of days but I doubt she will touch it. Can I take the water away entirely?

I don't know how much I add to the food. I mainly put in enough so it absorbs it, but doesn't have the soupy texture, but I would think it would be about a tablespoon to half a can. She eats 1 can a day.

Thank you!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't take the water away. Cats that are on all canned food drink less, but I would still leave a dish of water out just in case.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A bowl of water should always be available regardless of what kind of diet is fed. All animals need free access to clean drinkable water. Whether they chose to drink water from a bowl is an etnirely different story ;) Water should never ever be restricted or witheld.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I add water the same way... just enough to make the pate softer but not soupy. I am feeding a 50/50 wet and dry diet so I definitely want the water available when my kitty has her dry meal but she really doesn't seem to touch it since she gets wet with added water twice a day now. I dump and add fresh water to her water bowl twice a day and the level always seems to be the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyashasu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I figured the answers would be like this, but I thought I would ask. I will probably start her fountain back up and try and keep a better eye on its level. Thank you for responding both of you! Appreciate it very much!