Water Intake

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 8 yr old cat Gustav seems to be taking in a lot of water. I'm not sure if I should be concerned, or if I should put it down to living on the top floor of our apartment building in Florida; the roof is right atop our apartment and it can get warm up here. We keep the a/c set at 75. 

He was recently tested for kidney & liver disease - all was normal. This test was done on 13 October 2016.

His glucose was tested as well - normal. (I myself am a diabetic so believe me - diabetes was a HUGE concern to me)

He seems to have no problems urinating, and when his urine was tested, no crystals were found. 

Maybe he just wants to be well-hydrated? He does like to take in the sunshine on our porch - and he is a black cat. 

I'm not sure what to make of this. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you test your cat's blood glucose levels at home with your meter or did the vet do it? Even wtih vet stress taken into account, if the blood glucose level was in the normal range at the vet's office then it's unlikely your cat has diabetes.

What do you feed your cat? Have you changed brands recently?

If the vet says your cat is fine and yoru cat isn't showing any other unusual behavior, then I wouldn't worry about the increased drinking of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Did you test your cat's blood glucose levels at home with your meter or did the vet do it? Even wtih vet stress taken into account, if the blood glucose level was in the normal range at the vet's office then it's unlikely your cat has diabetes.

What do you feed your cat? Have you changed brands recently?

If the vet says your cat is fine and your cat isn't showing any other unusual behavior, then I wouldn't worry about the increased drinking of water.
The vet drew a vial of blood and tested it in their lab. I wouldn't use my meter on Gus; my meter is for my sugars only. I'd get him his own meter if he was diabetic. 

Gus isn't acting abnormal for an 8 year old cat. He hadn't been active for a while, but then we got the kitten Sonny, and Sonny has had him running around playing tag, etc. My husband thinks the increased activity is why Gus is drinking more water. 

And like I said...kidney and liver function were normal, according to the bloodwork that the vet did, and no crystals in his urine. His appetite is normal and he isn't throwing up, etc. He does sometimes snack on the kitten kibble if Sonny doesn't eat it all. 

Last edited: