Water fountains

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone recommend a decently priced water fountain they've had a good experience with? After reading online it seems ceramic & stainless steel are the best options..

I've been using a plastic water fountain for my kitty and cleaning it regularly without issue. However, today for the first time I noticed some slime build up while cleaning and feel completely grossed out!

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I use one of these, and have not run into any issues in the year I’ve had it. I clean it with a toothbrush once a week, and cycle water every couple days. I’ll also deep clean as needed.

Edit: looks like the forums keep breaking my amazon link. It’s the Petkit Eversweet 3 Petkit Eversweet Smart Water Fountain Gen 3.0

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what we use. Bit pricey and the filters are about $3.00 each, but fountain and pump are easy to properly clean, and cats seem to like it. Its critical they drink plenty of water for good health.

The fountain is 2 or 3 years old and still looks and works like new.

You can pick these up second hand for less than half price. I bought the first one at full price and then got smart and bought a second one used for the same cost as the replacement pump.

Screenshot_2021-05-08-14-16-45.png

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 of the Drinkwell 360 fountains, and we rotate them weekly. The plastic parts go through the dishwasher, and the pump gets a bath in vinegar. Every so often, I completely disassemble the pump to check for any slime accumulation on the interior. The filters get changed monthly, so Michele gets them online by the dozen. The oldest one is about 4 years old, and we have had no issues with either of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is what we use. Bit pricey and the filters are about $3.00 each, but fountain and pump are easy to properly clean, and cats seem to like it. Its critical they drink plenty of water for good health.

The fountain is 2 or 3 years old and still looks and works like new.

You can pick these up second hand for less than half price. I bought the first one at full price and then got smart and bought a second one used for the same cost as the replacement pump.

View attachment 379628
Thank you!

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 2 of the Drinkwell 360 fountains, and we rotate them weekly. The plastic parts go through the dishwasher, and the pump gets a bath in vinegar. Every so often, I completely disassemble the pump to check for any slime accumulation on the interior. The filters get changed monthly, so Michele gets them online by the dozen. The oldest one is about 4 years old, and we have had no issues with either of them.
Thank you so much! We had a Drinkwell Platinum, plastic. I didn't realize the pump can be completely disassembled so with the new one I will be sure to do that. Thank you again!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! We had a Drinkwell Platinum, plastic. I didn't realize the pump can be completely disassembled so with the new one I will be sure to do that. Thank you again!
When I take the pump apart to clean it, I use a polyester-bristled parts cleaning brush, as it has stiffer bristles than a regular toothbrush. Also, I use fine-pointed tweezers and bits of paper towel to get into all of the nooks and crannies where slime might hide. Be sure to pop the cover off where the power cord enters, as slime can hide in there, too.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a plastic fountain that Delilah liked, but I couldn't clean off mineral buildup. So I replaced it with a stainless. I don't see her at it the way I did the plastic (I saw her at the metal fountain once), but since the water level goes down I'm assuming she's drinking.

I wish I could find a metal one designed the way the plastic one was.