Water Bowl Issues

cleobub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! My almost 7 month old kitten has a very strange behavior that I don't know how to fix. She always flips her water bowls. She originally had a metal bowl that she flipped, and then we tried a heavier ceramic that she pushes around to get the water out of. She has also popped out bowls in wooden holders.

I've had a cat before that put her paw in the water to make waves, but have never had a cat so determined to get all the water out of a bowl for no other reason other than she finds it... fun? any suggestions on why she does this or what bowls may be kitten flip proof? Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
My boy loves dropping a toy in his water bowl and then goes fishing LOL, --water everywhere! Especially when he tries to make it sink (?) by tilting the bowl, or it does sink and he gets tired of nearly drowning trying to retrieve it so he deliberately dumps out some water .
I put a folded small towel underneath the bowl to help trap water which I change as necessary. He still gets to have fun, and the carpet and underlayment is a little safer.

What if you have multiple water bowls? Would she still do that to the one? ...or all of them?
Maybe use a dog bowl like this, or one where the sides are slanted even more outwards.

Grreat Choice Non-Skid Dog Bowl Size: 1.11 Pt, Silver

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby does all that you have described. So, I bought a bowl very similar to the one in the picture that Furballsmom Furballsmom provided. So, that stopped the scooting, tipping, etc. But, if your kitten turns out like Feeby, he will then use his paws to scoop water out (all over the place) and lick the water off his paws. So, a little rubber mat or something that the bowl can't be scooted off of might be a good idea.

Also, Feeby has two water bowls, the one in the house that she rarely uses is ceramic and while she may move it closer to her, she doesn't generally spill it. I had an identical one on the patio where she prefers to drink but that is the one I had to replace with the dog bowl. Go figure.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Sqeeker was water obsessed. He'd turn over a small bowl. Dip toys in a large bowls and then throw them around the room. We got a fountain and it solved the problem. I occasionally find a toy in the fountain but he doesn't take them back out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buy a bowl with a suction cup bottom. Pet stores have these, mainly for dogs. There are also bowls that are attached to a tray / mat to prevent spillage.

Put a tray or water absorbent mat under a bowl to keep the mess to a minimum. A shallow plastic storage container or even just the lid would also work.