Water additive for stomatitis - or other medication/supplement?

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 13 yr old cat with severe asthma who was diagnosed with stomatitis and I've been pulse dosing the antibiotic Clindamycin for a few years (one week/month). It's getting worse though, and the dental veterinarian I saw recommended a few products. One was a water additive called Oratene that he seemed to like at first (and it seemed to help the stomatitis), but he has stopped drinking the water when I put it in, so I'm looking for an alternative. I'm also using Duralactin L-Lysine paste and Tooth to Nail antioxidant gel. I'm not convinced either of those is helping. I called the dental vet again and she suggested a water additive called pet::essential healthymouth.

Has anyone had experience with this? Or are there other products you'd recommend for this condition? My cat's age and severe asthma make extraction surgery risky. Thanks for any suggestions.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have no experience with these products. The second one, Pet Essentials, claims to be mercury free salmon oil. I don't know if that makes a big difference to the taste. It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that these products can be applied to the cat's mouth. Is that possible or it has to be in the water for another reason?

Members have made previous posts about successfully using the Oratene in the water. That, of course, does not mean to imply that your cat should like it as well. How long did he drink the water with the Oratene before he rejected it? Can this be put into tuna water or mixed with a stew or bisque? I understand this may not be dosed like a regular medication and the point to it might be to have a very dilute amount in water and not to give it at one time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He drank the water with Oratene for two or three weeks, not exactly sure. I know he won't even go near it now. He's never like seafood so I haven't had luck putting tuna water or other seafood liquid in his food. I've tried several times over the years, since he's a really picky eater. I didn't know that pet essentials healthymouth contains salmon oil. I just checked the ingredients and you are correct - it also contains several other ingredients. The salmon oil concerns me, just because I think it might turn him off.

I might try diluting the Oratene and putting it in his food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Give that a try. Diluted and then put in the food should control the dosage, not to mention that he probably would not eat the food with strong taste of it anyway.