Wasnt sure which part of the forum to post this...(getting a dog)

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So apologies if it in the wrong place.
My husband and I are looking at getting a little dog next year to add to our family. A small breed, perhaps a dachshund.

My question is, would this be incredibly cruel to our cat? She is 18 months old now and has never been around dogs. Does everyone think getting our dog is a terrible idea? I would absolutely hate to upset our gorgeous cat. She does go outdoors so she would have a place to go if she wanted a break from being around the puppy but she is kept indoors overnight.

Just wondered everyones thoughts x

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had both a dog and a cat as a teen and they were the best of friends. They slept together, groomed each other and played together. I would make sure your cat has high places indoors that the dog can't get to do the cat has somewhere to go when the puppy antics get too much. Also the litter box needs to be somewhere the dog can't access otherwise the dog will eat the poop.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always had dogs and cats. Since I have only ever owned rescues, it has often been much less planned than what you are doing. Read up on introducing dogs and cats to each other and then proceed. In my experience, dogs often accept a cat faster than another cat accepts a cat. A cat who has no experience with dogs might react with fright, hence the preparation. I have mostly owned GSDs who are very accepting of other animals and very motivated to please their owner. However, years ago I owned terriers who have a very high prey drive and it still worked out successfully.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for replies, I feel quite a bit more confident about it all. Won't be until next year though :) x