Wasn't sure where to post this

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My niece said that when my grandchild is born I have to get rid of my cats cause babies die from smelling cat litter ammonia...is that true?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a new one on me, that the smell of a cat's litter box will kill a baby. Usually it is a canard that the cat will hop in the crib and suck the baby's breath, killing it. Two pieces of nonsense from people who are afraid of cats.

When my two were a newborn and a toddler we had a cat. Both children were just fine. In fact, the cat used to sleep in the newborn's crib when she wanted to get away from the toddler.

Ask your niece who was the fool who told her that story. And assure her that the litter box is scooped frequently so there is no ammonia small.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a new one on me, that the smell of a cat's litter box will kill a baby. Usually it is a canard that the cat will hop in the crib and suck the baby's breath, killing it. Two pieces of nonsense from people who are afraid of cats.

When my two were a newborn and a toddler we had a cat. Both children were just fine. In fact, the cat used to sleep in the newborn's crib when she wanted to get away from the toddler.

Ask your niece who was the fool who told her that story. And assure her that the litter box is scooped frequently so there is no ammonia small.
She wouldnt listen, she thinks she knows everything.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughters got a 6 year old cat a and two younger children. The smell of the litter won't kill them but you'll have to clean it often. As soon as they could crawl the grandkids tried to play in it easy solved with a safety gate at the door to the room with the cat's litter. The only thing the cat's couldn't do was sleep in the crib not because she was scared they would steal there breath or anything stupid, babies can overheat fast. The cat's sleep with them now they are older.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She wouldnt listen, she thinks she knows everything.
Is she the baby's mother?

Maybe she needs to read this article: Excessive Cleanliness Causes Allergies.

After my brain tumor was removed in 2012 (benign, all gone now, never coming back) my husband's nephew and his family came to stay with us, to "help" me while I was recovering. They were hostile to our cat, and kept informing us that my brain tumor was probably caused by my exposure to cat pee. Roger finally asked his nephew where they'd gotten this idea, and the nephew showed him a whole bunch of threads on various websites with names like "Cat pee causes brain tumors." But the nephew had never actually read the threads in question, just their titles. When Roger made him actually read the threads out loud it turned out that each thread had begun with a reference to one study, that showed that rats exposed to the smell of cat pee over a long time had a greater incidence of brain tumors. And in each thread it wasn't long before someone pointed out that, cats being predators who consider rats to be prey, this particular smell would be a major source of stress for rats, so all the study really proved was that stress can contribute to brain tumors, at which point the threads would continue on to some other subject, without changing the title. Thus are false health theories begun, and they can take on a life of their own.

Margret

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a load of rubbish, when i was a baby and my sister was a baby we had a kitten that we played with, and we are still alive. So sick of stupid myths people tell who dislike cats to get rid of them.

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she the baby's mother?

Maybe she needs to read this article: Excessive Cleanliness Causes Allergies.

After my brain tumor was removed in 2012 (benign, all gone now, never coming back) my husband's nephew and his family came to stay with us, to "help" me while I was recovering. They were hostile to our cat, and kept informing us that my brain tumor was probably caused by my exposure to cat pee. Roger finally asked his nephew where they'd gotten this idea, and the nephew showed him a whole bunch of threads on various websites with names like "Cat pee causes brain tumors." But the nephew had never actually read the threads in question, just their titles. When Roger made him actually read the threads out loud it turned out that each thread had begun with a reference to one study, that showed that rats exposed to the smell of cat pee over a long time had a greater incidence of brain tumors. And in each thread it wasn't long before someone pointed out that, cats being predators who consider rats to be prey, this particular smell would be a major source of stress for rats, so all the study really proved was that stress can contribute to brain tumors, at which point the threads would continue on to some other subject, without changing the title. Thus are false health theories begun, and they can take on a life of their own.

Margret
My daughter is the babies mom not my niece.

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is a load of rubbish, when i was a baby and my sister was a baby we had a kitten that we played with, and we are still alive. So sick of stupid myths people tell who dislike cats to get rid of them.
I grew up around cats and so did my girls, I figured it was rubbish but nowadays you never know what's a health risk.