Washing Cat Things With Softened Water?

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
We recently relocated as my old apartment had mold issues and my Persian cat was getting very congested. Our new place has a water softener. My cats only drink bottled water, but I was wondering if it’s ok if we wash their dishes and whatnot with the softened water? It is a salt based softener but again cats won’t actually be drinking that water, only have their dishes cleaned with it. We live in California, USA if that’s useful.

Sorry if it’s a dumb question. Thank you so much for your help!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water softeners do not put salt into the water.

Water softeners use a filter made of ionic resin beads which attract calcium and magnesium ions and hold them inside the filter. Sodium chloride (salt) is used to wash calcium and magnesium out of the resin filter, regenerating it for further use.

When the water softener cycles, regular water bypasses the resin filter and salt water is pumped in. After a period of time, the salt water is flushed out and goes down the drain. Water softeners usually use a timer, set to trigger the regeneration cycle, late at night when people are unlikely to use water. That way, the likelihood of interrupting your water supply is substantially reduced.

Softened water is actually safer to drink than hard water despite the use of salt in the regeneration process. :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we have extremly hard water so softeners are pretty manditory if you don't want a flooded house from a leaky water heater or disgusting looking fixtures within a year.

I've never had any issues washing clothes or blankets for myself or my family with soft water. In fact water here is so hard it leaves white marks and rust stains on clothes without a softener.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The threat from the mold was probably much worse, for both of you, so I am glad that you moved. I do not have a water softener, but numerous friends with dogs and cats do and have reported no problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so very much for your help! Very glad we moved out as we found black mold on the walls when we moved some furniture (which was discarded and not taken to our new house). I appreciate everyone’s help! :)