Was told ragdoll but no tail

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So i boughy this cat from a pet store and the owner told me it was a ragdoll. Well before i did any research i bought her cause she was sooo cute. So ive done a little research and im think shes a mix of a ragdoll/calico/manx. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, she is certainly not a purebred ragdoll. did you get any papers with her? how much did you pay? it's never a good idea to buy kittens or puppies from petstores because they almost all get them from mills where the breeder animals are kept in deplorable conditions. she is a cutie though, she may be part manx..

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No papers. And 175.. I know i got ripped off. But shes a sweety and you live you learn

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a tortie point. Not a purebred Ragdoll because they're longhaired. Probably not Manx either, most likely just a random bobtail gene that popped up. She's very pretty!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She actaully had pretty long hair. Cant tell from the pictures but its probably 1-2inch

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She actaully had pretty long hair. Cant tell from the pictures but its probably 1-2inch

You understand, in unsure cases we look at the tail.  Bushy tail, the cat is mediumhair (has longhair genes), not bushy tail - the cat is a shorthair, even if the hair lengh is somewhat longish for an shorthair.

Yours doesnt have any tail, so we cant help you.   :(

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No papers. And 175.. I know i got ripped off. But shes a sweety and you live you learn

Yeah.  You got what you wished.  A sweetie with unusual coloring and unusual with this no tail.  Better than a purebred, because you got an unique combination for just 175 bucks, no?   A purebred would cost at least thrice that, and it would be of pet quality.   And finding THIS very especial combination with an registered purebred?   Continue to dream.

So commercially speaking you did a real BiG Bizness!

Buying a cat in pet shops seems natural.  If you want to buy say, apples, you can go to the marketplace, and buy directly from the gardener or a farmer, whom themselves raised the apples.  This way you know you buy quality apples, and you are supporting the local gardener and or local farmers.  Although you must beware some; if you buy from a reseller. Where you really dont know what you are buying, and whom you are supporting. But its usually cheap.

But what most of us do, is not to go to the marketplace (there IS such a one in my hometown, open on saturdays and wednesdays), but you go to the usual shop, and buy my apples imported from Argentina, or Italy, in the shop. Together with all the other foods I usually buy there.

Its almost the same with cats.  Wanting a cat, you can buy from different persons and sources, but you can also do what you usually do when you are buying something - and go to the shop.  In this case, a pet shop. That is an easy way, and if the shop owner is honest and decent, it may even be a good buy.

The problem is, if you want to have a purebred - this is a bad solution.  You will either get a fake, or a cat from a BYB.  Its only BYBs whom sell through pet shops (reseller on the market).  Serious breeders sells themselves.

So, its much better to get a "ragdoll" from some shelter.  This "ragdoll"  is a longhaired pointed domestic, but you arent overpaying, and you do a praiseworthy deed.

And if you really dont care if its a purebred, there are other sources.  Shelters for example.

The next problem is, there is no quarantee the pet shops is good. Often the kittens have bad conditions. Not even mentioning, kittens and puppies shouldnt be in the shop for sale more than a few hours. They shall be in a home milieu the most of their time.

Said together.   Our advice is thus, if you want to buy a cat.

If you really want a purebred, do some work and find a serious breeder.   Or at very least, a serious BYB  (not all are terrible, some are almost OK and make sure their cats are healthy, well socialized and well raised -  even if they are BYB´s).

And in almost all other cases, go around the local shelters / rescue groups.  You will surely find someone you are happy with - and you do a good deed.

Last edited: