Was This Cat Abused? Pictures Inside

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

More

Kitty that was adopted is back. We’re not sure what the eye issue is, but it has gotten more swollen since he’s been here. It looks like he had the crap beaten out of him. I hope not though. He is literally the sweetest cat. Just purred while I gave him lots of love. He seems kinda sad :/ What do you think?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you call or email the person who returned him and ask what happened to his eye? It looks like a somewhat old wound, still healing but not completely fresh. Any notes on why he was returned? Medical history (could be a scab from some type of surgery)? Looks bad, but seems to be healing. If the adopter intentionally abused him, there are animal cruelty laws and they could be charged. They could have spilled hot coffee on him by accident.

Could be a thousand stories. :dunno: The only person/people who know are the ones who were there when whatever happened - happened. How long did they have him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you call or email the person who returned him and ask what happened to his eye? It looks like a somewhat old wound, still healing but not completely fresh. Any notes on why he was returned? Medical history (could be a scab from some type of surgery)? Looks bad, but seems to be healing. If the adopter intentionally abused him, there are animal cruelty laws and they could be charged. They could have spilled hot coffee on him by accident.

Could be a thousand stories. :dunno: The only person/people who know are the ones who were there when whatever happened - happened. How long did they have him?
They gave conflicting stories on how it happened. From talking to the person at intake, I got the sense that whatever happened, the owner's SO (who dropped him off) wasn't telling the whole story.

He was at the shelter a couple months ago and perfectly fine. He came in yesterday. What makes me suspect abuse aside from his appearance was how several people felt there was something "off" about his adopter. Ultimately, we can't refuse to adopt to someone one a hunch, so he still went home.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a burn of some sort to me. Could it possibly be allergies? Is he missing any other fur/ wounds on him anywhere else?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be curious to know what the person who turned the cat in said happened. Otherwise we can only speculate and make up stories based on a few photos.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s really hard to tell, but is his face swollen?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think you can know for sure if the cat was abused based on those injuries. It's possible, but there are plenty of other scenarios that could result in that too. If only they could talk...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Has the cat been checked over by a vet? A vet could x-ray for fractures and check for bruising or swelling. If he has any other injuries apart from the one on his face I would be very suspicious.

At the very least I would add these people to your shelter's Do Not Adopt list and warn all the other shelters in the area too.

Animal abusers are often serial abusers. If this cat has been mistreated you really want to make sure they don't get their hands on another pet.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't make sense to me that an intentional pet abuser would turn a cat they injured into a shelter...the most likely place that would file charges against them.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a checkup from the vet is the best idea, too. The vet will be able to tell whether it's abuse or not.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It doesn't make sense to me that an intentional pet abuser would turn a cat they injured into a shelter...the most likely place that would file charges against them.
Sure, but wasn't the cat adopted by a couple? If one person hurt the cat maybe the other decided to bring him back to the shelter before any more harm was done.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
its abuse...cats can over scratch them self like that if they have mites or dental problem but the cat is healthy? Report these ppl for cruelty. It need an official investigation before they adopt another cat in a different shelter and do the same thing again. If its not cruelty...it will be all good, why taking chances?

Last edited:

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are two more pictures I found from when he was here in September.

His face was completely fine. He also has lost some weight, down to 10 lbs, which is underweight. I believe he was adopted less than a month ago, this week last month. It's hard to see from the pictures, but the bump on his head protrudes out, like a hematoma. It looks like the nasty hematoma-type bump I got on my head after running into a monkey-bar in the 3rd grade. So that's what makes me think head trauma. I don't think he's gone for an X-Ray yet, but I will check.

Every adopter is offered 30 days of free health insurance with the option to cancel on day 29. So if it's a health issue, there's no excuse not to take him to the vet.

I feel so bad for him. He's such a sweet cat, I just don't know why anyone would decide they didn't want him anymore because he's really the perfect cat. Laid back, loves cuddles, very patient.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hot cooking oil or hot grease like from cooking hamburger can cause something like that. Unlike something water base, oil will soak into the fur and continue to burn. It would cause blistering and swelling. I had an idiot cat that swatted some hot fat that I had just poured off of a frying pan. Got on the counter and sent hot oil all over the place. Fortunately only a few small drops landed on her but the paw she used did get some burns. Blistered and peeled in a few places. So an accident with hot oil is a possibility.

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hot cooking oil or hot grease like from cooking hamburger can cause something like that. Unlike something water base, oil will soak into the fur and continue to burn. It would cause blistering and swelling. I had an idiot cat that swatted some hot fat that I had just poured off of a frying pan. Got on the counter and sent hot oil all over the place. Fortunately only a few small drops landed on her but the paw she used did get some burns. Blistered and peeled in a few places. So an accident with hot oil is a possibility.
I uploaded a video of him. Hopefully this will help.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen this happen when a cat suffers facial trauma. It could be from a dog bite, another cat bite, or even being hit by a human or by a car. Make sure that his facial bones are in good condition and not broken. That can cause this swelling.

Poor little guy. I really hope that he's alright.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not of any help, I simply have no idea. I just hope he heals up and gets adopted soon. Poor boy. :sigh: