Was My Cat Possibly Abused?

alisad1981

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Bosco from the Humane Society a month ago. They warned me that he nips when he's over-stimulated, and he's done it a few times. But on Saturday he was sitting on my lap, and he bit my arm really hard and drew blood. I shoved him off my lap and walked quickly toward him because he was in the path to the bathroom. He made a move like he was going to attack my feet, then he backed off. He also sometimes attacks my feet when I try to shoo him away from the front door. So now I'm wondering if his previous owner might have kicked him, and what can I do to help him?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't blame you at all for shoving him off your lap. Here is what happened:

First - Attacking your feet is a normal, unfortunately, kitten/cat game. When he does it hiss at him. This is what another cat or his mother will do. It tells him not to do whatever he did without frightening him.

When you shoved him off your lap then walked quickly toward him, he thought you were going to attack him. Which is why he started to attack, then realized you were too big for him to fight and backed off. He was scared.

Biting your arm is a form of affection. He never learned that he was doing it too hard. Hiss at him when he does it. There's a good chance he'll learn in one hiss that he bites too hard. He loves you so he'll continue with the love bites, but they will be more pinches or just placing his teeth on your arm.

My cat puts her fangs on my arm then ratchets her head back and forth at a machine gun cadence. Never breaks the skin. Scares the whatnot out of anyone else when they see it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds more like play aggression and early separation from Mom. Kittens are taught behavior, how hard to bite, how far is too far, and manners by their Moms at between 7 and 12 weeks. You will often see kittens taken from their Moms before 12 weeks not understanding limits in play.

Play aggression is usually hyperactive kittens being overly aggressive in play OR getting so wrapped up in play that they don't know when to stop.

For both of these you should try two steps.

1) Regular, predictable play time. Most kittens need 2-4 30 minute sessions of dedicated play plus light play when needed. Older cats are okay with 1-2 30 minute sessions. Play sessions should be completely dedicated to just play. You have to be fully engaged and really get him going. For now, limit to wand and toss toys so the toys aren't directly held by human hands. You can also try leading him around a pathway with a treat at the end to engage him mentally. Do the sessions at the same time everyday so he knows when they will happen and always end with treats or a meal to signal you are done. If he gets hyper between just do a quick toss toy or light play to satisfy his play need.

2) Any time for any amount of claw or tooth you become a drama queen (or king). Loud sharp ouch, hiss or Yelp to get his attention. Then physically turn away and ignore his existance. If he tries to jump you walk away. He does not exist in your eyes for about ten seconds. Then act like nothing happened and go back to normal. Repeat this every time even if it's barely a claw tip you feel. You want him to think you are super fragile and sensitive. The ignoring him is the worst punishment to a hyper active kitten. Trust me, do this for two weeks without a single slip and he will get with the program. I did this with my cats and they haven't broken skin (except in extreme not their fault situations) years.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
My Maine coon was terrified of brooms, she fled as fast as she could whenever I brought it out (until I realized and waited until she wasn't in the kitchen), so in her case, definitely she'd been punished with one.

I agree with the other posters, this is kittenish behavior as opposed to abuse, thankfully :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That yelp, ouch, or hiss will really work wonders. It sounds more as if he was taken from Mama too soon, before he really learned to "cat" properly. She and his siblings would have hissed at him when he got too rough, and even cuffed him, but perhaps those lessons were never learned. Now you get to do it. He'll understand what you are telling him VERY quickly!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do want to add: you can try a calming spray.

I recently adopted a guy, who was so sweet in the shelter, and so terrified at my apartment.

I contacted Jackson Galaxy's website, asked for some guidance, and tried one of their herbal mist sprays. I mist it in the rooms.

Jackson Galaxy Store | Buy Treats & Supplies For Your Cathttps://www.jacksongalaxy.com/
The link may not work.. sorry.. I am bad with links...

I cannot believe difference it made with getting my guy out from under my bed.

They have a ton of herbal sprays.. just to calm down a cat..
They have someone available M-F for an on-line chat.. very informative..
833-886-CATS (2287)

You can also try the Feliway plug-ins--get at a Pet Store or Amazon-- for a calming affect ....
or try Recuse Remedy, last I saw, you can pick that up in Whole foods or Amazon.

I think the Feliway, although pricey does help in calming a new kitty.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful with the Feliway that plugs in. There have been problems with the plug in part getting too warm. Stay with it when you first use it. It did send my cat back to her kittenhood, back before she was socialized. That's the only one of Artiemom's suggestions we've tried. It may work wonderfully for your kit, it works for a lot of kits.

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mentioned that he nips when hes over stimulated, the best thing to do is watch his behaviour, tail flicking is a huge indicator that a cat is unhappy. when he starts to become over stimulated, you should just leave him alone. sprays and feliway was mentioned. another option is sentry, they offer a calming collar that is not offered by feliway in canada