Was It A Mistake Adopting Her?

KittenDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey yall. Ive creeped these forums on and off for the past couple years. Only now am i joining and posting because i have some questions i havent seen answered.

My partner and I recently adopted a kitten. A female who was 10 weeks old when we brought her home. We have a nuetered 2.something year old male so we kept them seperate the first week only having short greetings between them. The first night our kitten was obviously shook from her ordeal so she hid under a shelf in the office, but by the next day she was all over me. She stayed very affectionate and cuddly for just over the first two weeks. She would sleep in our bed under my armpit and i was always up for kisses and snuggles. The last week her personality has changed. She seems to only be interested in our adult cat and will have almost nothing to do with me. It even took a few minutes to get her to come to me with a bribe of wet food. I refused to put it down until she came to me and at least acknolwedged i was here. She absolutely will not cuddle whatsoever even for five seconds. She squirms and wants to go. She also stopped sleeping in our bed. Ive decided to start completely ignoring her and shower our adult cat in ane xaggerated amount of love (which he seems super happy about). Im hoping this will make her change her tune when she sees how happy he is. But ive been through something similar before. Only last time when my ex brought home a kitten it didnt want us from the start wheras this little girl did. I have concerns. Is she only going to be a cats cat or will that change? And I KNOW they go through phases, have personalities yada yada. But is there a likelyhood she can become affectionate again? Im honestly at this point almost regretting getting her. At least the cat we already had loves me and shows it. I dont want a cat that isnt lovable. I purposely adopted her because i wanted a baby girl. And now im feeling really bitter. Im aware it may be immature but i feel how i feel. I dont want a cat that just lives in our house. I want a furbaby. Considering shes going to cost me over half a grand to spay and get shots, 25 bucks every time i get her food (our cats only eat the highest quality raw meat based foods) and 20 bucks every time i need a new bucket of litter. I understand shes a loving creature, not an object. But shes also an investment. And i dont want to make an investment that gives no return. Ant advice would be appreciated, any advice other than "be patient" would be even more appreciated. Thanks!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are putting a lot of expectations on this kitten. She is simply being a kitten, enjoying your home and older cat and probably having a great time. The time to cuddle a kitten is not when they are wide awake or playful, it is when they are falling asleep or sleeping. So pick her up then and she will drift back off to sleep enjoying your warmth and touch, and the next time she gets sleepy she will look for that again from you.

If in the end she turns out not to have the personality you are looking for, and you choose to rehome her, please consider adopting an adult the next time. That is the most reliable way to get a cat that matches your needs and expectations.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you play with her? Playing is a great bonding tool. Da bird and Cat Dancer are both good choices.