Warning: TMI!!!!!! cat obsessed with my period

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, first things first, sorry to anyone who finds this gross but I need help 😂 I know this sounds crazy, but my male cat goes absolutely nuts when I'm on my period. He's 7 months now but since day one he's been aggressive twords me around that time. Attacking me, pulling tampons out of the garbage no matter how hard I try to keep him out of it, And now, peeing on them as well.

So let me explain that last one. I went shopping, the bathroom didn't have a garbage can in it, can't flush a tampon, so I wrapped it up and stuck it in my purse to throw out at home. As soon as I got home, I didn't even have the chance to take my shoes off before my cat pounces on my purse and tries to get it open. When that failed, he just peed on it. He isn't neutered yet, but that's about to change. This is the first time he's ever peed on anything and it will be the absolute last time as well.

But my concern is that even after he's neutered, he's going to keep doing it. Has anyone else had this happen? It weird, gross, and so embarrassing when there's people over and here comes your cat with a tampon dangling out of his mouth 🤦🏼‍♀️ so please help!!! I'm hoping that neutering him will help but what do I do while I wait for his appointment?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is not going to help you directly, but a friend went on a photographic safari in Africa a few years ago and the women in the group were told that if they were having their period they could not have access to certain areas where the scent might be picked up by the male animals. It was not discriminatory but was a safety issue.

This probably has to do with the fact that he is not neutered. Get him neutered as quickly as you can and try to manage your protection in such a way that he does not have access to it or to the scent. It might require going to an outside receptacle or whatever else you think will work. Remember that for 30 days after neutering a male cat will still have hormones in his system, he just cannot reproduce.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would switching to a cup or a disc help? I use one disc through my whole period, and toss it at the end of the month (mine are disposable, but there are those you'd clean and save for next time). Then there'd be no used tampons to grab.

And definitely get him neutered!

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest a lidded garbage can in the bathroom, they have nice ones at bed bath and beyond if you care about looks. But an air tight container might be better in your case so he can't smell it.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would switching to a cup or a disc help? I use one disc through my whole period, and toss it at the end of the month (mine are disposable, but there are those you'd clean and save for next time). Then there'd be no used tampons to grab.

And definitely get him neutered!
I have a friend with a cat that finds cups to be the best thing ever and has stolen and chewed up several so that's not always a safe bet either lol. But a disc might work.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's responding to the pheromones right now, neutering should help that. But cats are also cats and it's probably a lot of fun for him too. A covered trash can for the bathroom (preferably lockable and/or airtight), plus taking it out frequently, is probably the best and easiest way to deal with it.

At least cats rarely eat such things! Dogs do it a lot and absorbent items are not the best things to swallow, causes a lot of blockage surgeries. They also like to shred them. . .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a friend with a cat that finds cups to be the best thing ever and has stolen and chewed up several so that's not always a safe bet either lol. But a disc might work.
Cat's can be so strange 😂 luckily it hasn't been an issue since and his snip-snip appointment is on Friday. Unfortunately I couldn't get it any sooner as this usually is a big time for barn cats around here to start having their litters and vets are busy with that right now.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Let us know if things change.. Remember it takes about six weeks for the sexy boy hormones to settle after neutering. :)