Warning: Poop Picture! Identifying Cat's Digestion Issue

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi everyone, ever since I have adopted my Ragdoll cat she had some mysterious digestion problem and her previous owner said that it is just a breed thing but I am not convinced. I have taken my cat to a vet numerous time, did blood tests, poop test, and all turns out fine. The vet put her on a hypoallergenic diet (Hill's D/D), but it really did not change anything.
The cat goes to poop twice (sometimes three times a day).
Typically, her poop looks half-formed properly and half diarrheic at the end with a very small amount of blood in it. If I give her any new food or treat besides D/D she eats it hungrily but immediately runs to poop and has a diarrhea. I have tried raw food, very high quality single protein foods, etc. Moist food gives her more runny poops vs dry D/D food. Cat probiotics and food enzymes give her diarrhea as well. I love her, but am a little exhausted having to deal with daily volumes of half runny poops that sometimes get on her tail, paws, and around the house :biggrin:
What could this be? Should I take her for an ultrasound? Or maybe it is something that someone had witnessed in their cat and can help guide me in the right direction? So far, vets have not shed much light on this issue. Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with She's a witch She's a witch about the kind of test that should be run - the fecal PCR panel will not only look for parasites, but bacteria as well. Maybe this article (link below) will help give you information about how inclusive this test is and what all it looks for. If this hasn't been done, I would think it would be a good place to start!

Feline diarrhea PCR panel

Btw, if this test hasn't been done, you should be able to collect a sample yourself and take it to the vet for testing without having to take your cat back into the vet's office. Just confirm with your vet that they will accept it this way - many vets do.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pale poop can indicate liver issues. I agree that a cytology on the stool should be done to look for parasites as well as bacteria. If the cytology shows nothing, blood tests to check the liver and pancreas should be run.

Milk thistle is very supportive of the liver should her liver need some love. Nature's Answer has an alcohol free milk thistle. If her good gut bacteria is outta wack ProBios is excellent for restoring the good gut flora. You can get it from Amazon or locally if you have a Southern States or Tractor Supply as they usually carry it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what kind of poop test did she have? I'd recommend PCR panel, mainly to check if it's trichomonas foetus
I believe it was Giardia test and basic parasites. Not the PCR one as it was $250 where I am. I will look into this, thanks

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pale poop can indicate liver issues. I agree that a cytology on the stool should be done to look for parasites as well as bacteria. If the cytology shows nothing, blood tests to check the liver and pancreas should be run.

Milk thistle is very supportive of the liver should her liver need some love. Nature's Answer has an alcohol free milk thistle. If her good gut bacteria is outta wack ProBios is excellent for restoring the good gut flora. You can get it from Amazon or locally if you have a Southern States or Tractor Supply as they usually carry it.
I did all extensive blood tests and the vet said all looked pretty normal. Probiotics give her a diarrhea, unfortunately. I think only the diarrhea part looks palish because it did not had the chance to form and sit in the colon yet.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe it was Giardia test and basic parasites. Not the PCR one as it was $250 where I am. I will look into this, thanks
It's expensive but it should give you a definitive answer if any pathogen is involved. But if I was to guess, I'd say it's trichimonas foetus, it's too common in purebred cats catteries. Read about it and see if the symptoms match. I believe you can do the PCR test only for this. It's difficult to treat though. But if it's not that, the full PCR would still be useful... Personally I'd spend $ for full panel.
How old is she?
If PCR shows no pathogens, I'd look into allergies, and experiment with elimination diet.

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's expensive but it should give you a definitive answer if any pathogen is involved. But if I was to guess, I'd say it's trichimonas foetus, it's too common in purebred cats catteries. Read about it and see if the symptoms match. I believe you can do the PCR test only for this. It's difficult to treat though. But if it's not that, the full PCR would still be useful... Personally I'd spend $ for full panel.
How old is she?
If PCR shows no pathogens, I'd look into allergies, and experiment with elimination diet.
I agree that symptoms match! Weird that vets did not recommend this and wanted to do the blood tests first. I am reading that it is difficult to treat, and my cat absolutely hates and foams after any medication. Oh man!!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some people decide not to treat it at all, especially in the US, as treatment not only can be risky and often ineffective, but is also very expensive. But personally I know a cat that was successfully treated. The good news is that usually symptoms go away after 2 years. How old is your girl?
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it until you have a diagnosis.

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
some people decide not to treat it at all, especially in the US, as treatment not only can be risky and often ineffective, but is also very expensive. But personally I know a cat that was successfully treated. The good news is that usually symptoms go away after 2 years. How old is your girl?
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it until you have a diagnosis.
She is just under 2 years. It is crazy that it takes 2 years to treat something :/ I would like to treat it as otherwise it creates a lot of work that does not typically go hand in cat with owning a cat (volumes of smelly runny poop that ends up on the floors and furniture), plus she cannot enjoy any treats because they make it worse. The only thing that makes me have a doubt is why would FT give her immediate runs when anything else besides her dry food is given?? It is not like that bacteria has food preferences :D

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is just under 2 years. It is crazy that it takes 2 years to treat something :/ I would like to treat it as otherwise it creates a lot of work that does not typically go hand in cat with owning a cat (volumes of smelly runny poop that ends up on the floors and furniture), plus she cannot enjoy any treats because they make it worse. The only thing that makes me have a doubt is why would FT give her immediate runs when anything else besides her dry food is given?? It is not like that bacteria has food preferences :D
I meant to say the symptoms clear out on their own, without treatment, when the cat is 2 years old (this is average). SO hopefully, if that's it, you won't have to deal with it much longer.
I believe any chronic diarrhea weakens the digestive track and makes it sensitive to any changes like new food, treats ets; but it's entirely possible that your cat problem is totally different, like allergy or IBD.

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant to say the symptoms clear out on their own, without treatment, when the cat is 2 years old (this is average). SO hopefully, if that's it, you won't have to deal with it much longer.
I believe any chronic diarrhea weakens the digestive track and makes it sensitive to any changes like new food, treats ets; but it's entirely possible that your cat problem is totally different, like allergy or IBD.
thank you, I will keep you posted after the PCR test just to see if we were on the right track!

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first thought is it's coccidia infection, I personally would treat my cats with toltrozuril 5% and go from there.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another possiblity, though I wouldn't expect even the formed part with this is Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI.) As it sounds, it is not enough pancreatic digestive enzymes. This would require a blood test called fTLI to confirm or rule out. I know you said you tried digestive enzymes. Those were most likely plant-based enzymes which are not always effective or well-tolerated with all cats. If it turns out to be EPI, she would need animal-based pancreatic enzyme supplements for life. Since it is a blood test, it is simple enough to confirm or rule out.

I know you also said you tried probiotics. Not all probiotics are created equally. FortiFlora, for example, is only one strain and not very much of it. It is more effective as an enticement to eat with animal digest (kibble flavoring) leading the ingredients list.

This is my favorite probiotic. Clears up any soft poops within one or two doses for my Krista.
Pet Flora, Cat Probiotics Supplement | Vitality Science

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the mystery continues! I've now spent $250 for the PCR poop test, and:
Feline
parvovirus/Panleukopeni Negative
Tritrichomonas foetus Negative
Campylobacter jejuni/coli Negative
Cryptosporidium spp Negative
Cryptosporidium felis Negative
Salmonella spp Negative
Giardia spp Negative
Clostridium difficile toxins
A/B Negative
Clos perfringens
enterotoxin Negative
:confused:
her extensive blood test did not reveal anything too. The doctor said maybe it is IBD. :help:

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is now on day 5 of Tylosin tablets and it only reduced the odor, everything else is pretty much the same.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the probiotic I mention above. They also sell a Finicky Cat Trial Pack. That would honestly last you awhile. I give about a half capsule a day (1/4 capsule twice a day.) So a trial pack of five would last you ten days. But it likely won’t take very long to see results.

Vitality Science has other products that might help too. Feline Comfort Plus and Luxolite are two I have used with Krista. They have excellent customer service that can help you with product selection and usage. Except the CBD oil (which can interfere with other prescription drugs and their metabolism in the liver), everything else on their site is safe to mix with whatever your vet is prescribing. And they all have a money back guarantee.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, at least you have many pathogens ruled out. I’d also check probiotics, but also elimination diet to see if her food creates a problem? If she mainly eat chicken, I’d feed her chicken free food. Does she eat grain free food? If she eats dry only, maybe she’ll do better with wet?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be IBS and not IBD.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

From what I understand IBS is harder to diagnose and figure out the cause but once you do find the reason, it's easier to treat. Like the cause might just be food intolerance and the right diet alone might totally end the problem.

I will also ask if you tried grain-free food. Vets believe grain intolerances are rare so they don't always mention it IME. But as one vet told me "Just because something is rare doesn't mean your cat doesn't have it."

My Hima for example has at least one grain intolerance, wheat, probably more, and even hypoallergenic prescription foods I know have wheat in them. She also can't handle all fishes a grain-free salmon food would also not work for her.