Warning: Do not read if sensitive.

corwynt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Warning. Do not read further if you are sensitive or easily upset.

I am only posting this as a warning to cat lovers in the hope that they may not be subjected to the same anguish and distress as our family.

We had a beautiful black kitten, about 3 months old. She was the most serene and gentle kitten I have ever known.

In the time it took to empty it and refill it she managed to climb into our warm tumble drier, unseen. The tumble drier is in an awkward, dark position and it is difficult to see right into it without bending right down. Also, being all black, the kitten was difficult to see at the best of times.

I will spare readers the awful details - suffice it to say that our beautiful kitten died. My family and I were, and are still, absolutely distraught at our loss, and racked with guilt also. It will take us a long time to get over this tragedy.

Please, please take heed: do not leave your tumble drier open, not even for a second - it can have the most tragic consequences. Please pass this advice to your cat loving friends in the hope that this awful occurrence will not be repeated.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sooo sorry about your tragic loss. I have the same problem. And I am always on the alert when I'm doing clothes.

I would suggest you see if you can figure out how to get more lighting in the area so it never happens again.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.

This happened to our family cat when I was about 7 years old and I have never forgotten it. I was the one who found him.

It WAS an accident though, so please don't beat yourself up too much. I agree with trying to add more light in the area, and check and double check the dryer each time in the future.

RIP little one

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so sorry for your loss.

This is one of the reasons I always do a nose count (not hard since I only have 2) before I turn on the washer or dryer.

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How terrible! I'm sorry for your loss.

Sunny is like a ninja - he's absolutely everywhere and is right there before you know it. I ended up putting a collar with a bell on it so that we know when he's around. It's helped tremendously knowing he's around even if we can't see him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corwynt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind messages.

It was me that discovered the awful thing that happened and I haven't slept much since.

I pray that no-one else has to go through the same thing.

Take good care of your kitties.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is awful.
My bfs mom told me how her aunts cat died the same way. & Monster likes to try to climb in our dryer sometimes but it is realyl easy for us to see him, & we always double check to make sure one of them hadnt slipped by, before we shut it & turn it on. we have to, cuz like i said Monster tries to get in there sometimes.

R.I.P. lil kitty

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry about that.
My Cats are not allowed near the garage where the machines are.
We found my brothers siamese in the dryer but thank god we had not turned it on.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss - thank you for the courage to share the experience, to remind us all to always check and re-check all mechanical devices. But, try to forgive yourselves - it was a horrible accident, but an accident.

kunalen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'am sorry for you loss.Our nacho is also a black cat.We are always careful where we put our feet or check the washer before doing anything.A collar with a bell helps.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is so terrible! I am sorry for your loss!!

We don't allow cats in the laundry room (Cause we keep some clean clothes in there, and for some reason certain cats like to poop on the dirty laundry) so we don't ever have that problem!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so sad, i'm so sorry
I caught Jack climbing into the microwave on sunday night. I left the door open to let the condensation dry out, but i could have easily locked him in if he'd been smaller, so that's one i'll be checking as well

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I should be glad that all three cats are scared by the sounds our washer and dryer make, enough that they don't like being near them at any time. Had to move the litter boxes, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corwynt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by kunalen

Hi,
I'am sorry for you loss.Our nacho is also a black cat.We are always careful where we put our feet or check the washer before doing anything.A collar with a bell helps.
The collar with bell was on our shopping list. We have much to regret.

Once again, thank you all for your kind responses. Diolch yn fawr.

fatcatt316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Geez, that is sad. As bad as you feel, just remember that it was a complete accident.

I backed over my cat a little over a month ago, and it felt horrible to all of a sudden see him twitching around on the road while he died and to know that I had done it. Yes, you'll feel terrible that you killed your cat, but try to remember all the good times you had with them, and just try to remember them every day.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happen to your kitten.

My dryer is not in dark place, but I have one cat who likes to jump in and burrow under the clothes. Why a cat likes wet clothes I have yet to figure out. If I can't actually see all the cats, I always go through the clothes in the dryer before I close the door. I've pulled Shareena out more than once. The bell on the collar helps some, except that Shareena has learned how to move without making the bell ring.

hana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my,
I'm so sorry for your dear, poor, little kitty. It was an honest mistake, but it is hard to even imagine what you must be going through. But you will be helping others, including myself for being even more cautious, though my cats have been used to the laundry machine for many years. Thank you, and so sorry for your kitten.