Warning Contains Pictures! How To Treat Severe Enophthalmos In Cats?

gammycatpurrson

Dilemma: I love cats. I love mice.
Kitten
Purraise
As a nurse, a ~human~ nurse ...money is an issue.
Just as a general comment, I am not certain that age is truly a bar to surgery, I think it really depends on the animal and whether the vet is comfortable with a bit extra monitoring.

However, personally, it doesn't sound like surgery is called for here. I'll share a parallel story of dilemma I faced recently, because what the vet said really opened my eyes. I had a cat who I assumed was in pain, and I wanted a bottle of buprenorphine on her discharge from the hospital. The vet asked whether I was treating the cat's actual condition, or if I was projecting myself into the cat's place and treating what I imagined I would feel like, if I were her? Well, the fact is, I just hate pain, and I welcome pain relievers of all kinds to get me back to feeling OK and get back to living life as fast as possible. But in this situation, the cat really didn't seem that put out. And sure enough, she was fine without the narcotics.

The experience made me realize that I have to pay more attention to what's actually going on with my cats, rather than what I worry may be going on (and lawdy am I a worrier!).

It does sound like your little lady has a very distinct opinion about her eyes ("They're fine, darnit! Stop with the goopy stuff, yuck! WHY do toopy hoomans do such WEIRD things?") We all age, and some of us less gracefully than others. At 38, I started developing jowls, and it's made my normally oval face totally square--SO annoying! Ugh! So, someday, I'll have a facelift. But as for my cats: they'll always be perfectly beautiful, just as they are.

:heartshape:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Age brings about it's own set of problems doesn't it!? :) I agree with the above about pain medicines, let the patients own actions and behaviors dictate the need.
As a RN I can assure anyone that age IS a definite factor to consider in contemplating surgery. Hearts are weaker, lungs are compromised in both capacity and ability to function, all major organs are not functioning as well as they did when the person/animal was younger. In other words there comes a time, usually over 80 for humans and 15/16 for cats, when the body systems can't take the added stressors that come from surgery. Anesthesia compromises the oxygen to both brain and heart, and I have noted many times in people ( my own father included) that in many cases the elderly are never the same after major surgery. Their frail bodies just can't profuse vital organs with enough oxygen. That is why having a Dr. that knows a patient is so vital. They can pick up on any deficiencies or decline and adjust accordingly. They can plan. Emergencies are much more risky. Sometimes there is no choice, such as broken bones. But you will notice many surgeons are using locals now, it avoids many problems, and is much safer for the brain and heart. People are often aware now during joint replacement and other planned surgeries. Surgery is risky no matter what, especially if there are many unknowns about the patient.
All that being said, my vet will use a lighter anesthesia or locals on geriatric cats, much safer on frail organs. Sometimes surgery cannot be avoided.....