Warning Butt Picture!

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning and sorry for the picture! I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. My Emily is given lactulose twice a day because she has had hard poop in the past. She was given an enema last year and I remember her butt looking like this afterwards. She had diarrhea after the enema and scooted her butt on my rug. A few weeks ago I gave her a different canned food and for 2 days her poop was looser than normal so I stopped the food. Last Weds I wasn't home and her poop was loose and her butt looked irritated so I assumed she scooted on the rug again. She's fine and her poop is back to normal but her anus still looks like this. Could it be scabs from her butt being irritated from scooting OR could it be anal gland discharge? I'm planning on taking her to the vet but was wondering if anyone has had this problem. Thanks!
1683206714322.png

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks normal for loose stool, not bad at all! You could apply some antibiotic salve if you can be quick, I think she'll be fine. You could bring/send that picture to your vet and see what they say, then she wouldn't have the stress of a vet visit.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks pretty normal to me. Sometimes they scoot because their stool is hard and it's a little painful when they poop. Lactulose can help as can adding plain canned pumpkin to wet food, if they'll eat it.