Warning About Using Fishing Line/equipment For Cat Toys

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With a fishing rod and reel being a fun way to play with your cat by tying a toy to the end of the line, casting, retrieving, and all of that I wanted to give a warning about a potential danger. It is in regards to line diameter, break strength, and abrasion. To a certain extent this applies to all string and types of line/cord but especially fishing line. I do a lot of fishing and over the years have cut myself many times with fishing line, in particular braided line. Basically a lot of line is thin enough to cut skin (deeply, like a blade) and able to withstand enough pressure to not break before doing so. Braided line can be extremely thin and strong and if a reel is spooled with it or a toy is tied to it and a cat gets caught in the line or runs around with it there is a HIGH likelihood that the line WILL cut the cats skin. Even nylon lines can cut skin in certain situations. I am giving this warning because of the experiences I have had playing with my cats and the experiences I have had fishing. If you happen upon a reel spooled with braided line or have braided line and want to use it as/with a cat toy I would STRONGLY caution against it. Thankfully I have never injured either of my cats with fishing line but I know that if I played with them the same way I do using elastic cord or shoe laces but instead used thin line with a high breaking strength there would certainly have been a very, very serious injury.

This isn't a matter of opinion but rather the facts of certain lines. If you want to be really terrified and have a strong stomach take a moment to see what a cut made by fishing line looks like. Also they are extremely painful. Like a paper cut*1000. Please be caution. Additionally the Berkley Fireline that is sold in the craft section of stores used for beading and other things is braided fishing line so I would advise against that as well.

Sorry for the drawn out warning but it is important with the availability of rod/reel combos and the fun they offer playing with cats! Have a beautiful day and stay safe out there!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you saying these are dangerous in combination with a reel (because of the speed the line moves at) or just in themselves?

I always replace the string in DaBird with the same length of jewelry wire (which is plastic-coated braided wire) and I’ve never injured myself or the cats. The cats can’t bite through the wire, so if they get at the toy when I’m not around, they can’t swallow it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, silkenpaw. My warning is about using this type of line in a rod and reel mostly. A fun cat toy that people have, which another member posted about not long ago, is a fishing rod and reel with a cat toy tied on the end of the line similar to a lure and casting it and retrieving it and also using the rod as a cat wand. This can be very dangerous with the use of certain lines. Similarly if a person has a rod and reel for fishing or has access to one and wishes to use it as a cat toy with the reel is spooled with braided line it can pose a very serious threat. The plastic coated braided wire is fine as it is generally too thick, is not abrasive and doesn't create the same tension due to its physical characteristics. I am being far too long winded about this but my warning is similar to a choking hazard. Basically cats should be kept away from braided fishing line no matter what. Even when I am spooling a reel or practicing knots I keep my cat away or move to a closed room. I see more and more rod/reel combos which are pre-spooled and some may have braid. The line is very popular and many people use it and a cat owner wishing to create an exciting and fun way to play with a cat could easily use a rod/reel spooled with braided line as a cat toy and seriously injure the cat. This is a warning about the dangers as it will SERIOUSLY hurt a cat or any animal caught in it or applying to much tension.

I want to mention though that it is very, very rarely harmful to fish in the same way due to physiological differences.

I hope this helps.

cpriest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your warning, I was about 60 seconds away from buying some fishing line for a cat toy and was looking up what a good lbs weight for the line would be.

What would you recommend instead of fishing line? Ideally, I'm looking for something similar to a fishing line in both a clear and highly visible color. Our cats have all of their claws and they are sharp, so I was hoping that the line would not be something they could snag their claws on.

This is basically for modifying a toy like 'da bird,' which we recently found our cats love almost more than life its-self.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Certain fishing line would be fine. A higher pound test mono or fluorocarbon wouldn't pose a problem and can be both clear and high visibility if that is a concern. The significant issue is line that has high tensile strength and very small diameter. Thick mono or fluoro, 30lb+ (for example Berkley Big Game) would work great and a bonus is the line memory. I don't want to get into all of that but basically it makes the line "springy".

I would suggest to avoid braid fishing line altogether and use thicker, high pound test mono/fluoro line if having clear and high visibility line is a concern.

As for myself, I have taken to using elastic line to use for cat toys. It is in the sewing section of craft stores and works wonderfully allowing my cats to tug and pull on something while having it bounce around. There is an occasional claw snag but it isn't much of an issue as long as the toy/line isn't yanked away. It only comes in white and black though.

cpriest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the detailed advice! I know as much about fishing as the average person knows about rocket science. I'm familiar with elastic for sewing a bit but perhaps not the spread that may be available, I'll check that out too.

As a tip back for you, if you haven't heard of the Mousr, look it up. It is a ton of fun for all 3 of our boys and works really well, despite the slightly high price tag.