Warning About Cerenia Causing Seizures

Balanceyogi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi cat parents-

We had an incredibly scary last 3 days and since we couldn't find much information online regarding our situation, so we thought it was important to share our recent experience on a popular forum.

A few days back we woke up to our 14 yo kitty having massive convulsions. She has never had a seizure before, so in the moment I wasn't sure if it was a stroke or seizure until it ended. If any of you have experienced seizures with people or animals, they're absolutely terrifying. We rushed her to the animal hospital where they couldn't find anything with her vitals or bloodwork to indicate why the seizure happened, and they directed us to reach out to our vet.

In the meantime we started researchimg online what could be the cause, as well as what had recently changed in her routine.

Now, here's the important part:

Our cat Harlem recent had her yearly blood work and we found out she'd moved from stage 3 to stage 4 renal disease. The vet misweighed her and thought she had lost a lb in a month (in factfshe hadn't) and perscribed Cerenia instead of the Pepcid we had been using to help her appetite. It was a few days after starting the meds that she started having the seizures. So we thought since that was a change- we'd look into the possibility of that being the case. We couldn't find much other than a PetMD article, andaaacouple others, that mentioned caution in using Cerenia in cats with renal disease, and while rare, seizures could be a side effect. As was excessive drooling...which shes was also doing. Remember, Cerenia is also only FDA approved for dogs. I decided to present this as a possibility at the vet.

Vet agreed that while in her 20yrs as a doctor she hasn't seen this happen in a cat due to Cerenia, it is a possibility. We also worried due to her age and health that it could still be something more, but agreed to stop the meds and monitor for 48hrs. Harlem had 2 more seizures, but then had a night and day w/o any, and she started to act like her old self again. We are currently still in the 48hr window, so we're cautiously optimistic. I felt it was important to get this out there as soon as possible just in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Bottom line- I'd say if your cat has advanced renal disease...oroa lot of sensativities/allergies... stay away from this medication. There are other options! Of course, if anything changes I will update, and also update later if we are still in the clear ☺

WinniesMomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, how scary! My kitty had a couple of Cerenia injections and luckily was okay. I hope your kitty continues to get better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Balanceyogi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, how scary! My kitty had a couple of Cerenia injections and luckily was okay. I hope your kitty continues to get better!
Thanks so much! Ya I think it's really great for so many, just seems my girl is one of those rare ones, and definitely at this stage with her kidneys. We will definitely be keeping an eye to see if it could be something else, but this far all signs point to the meds

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The tablets are approved for dogs only but is often used for cats at a lower dose. The injectable is for both dogs and cats.

Full prescribing info for Cerenia: https://www.zoetisus.com/products/p...s_and_injectable_marketing_package_insert.pdf

Worth reading the teeny tiny print. Seizures is a documented adverse reaction that can occur in some pets. Pets with other health issues may be more sensitive to the medicine than others.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Balanceyogi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The tablets are for dogs only. The injectable is for both dogs and cats.

Full prescribing info for Cerenia: https://www.zoetisus.com/products/p...s_and_injectable_marketing_package_insert.pdf

Worth reading the teeny tiny print. Seizures is a documented adverse reaction that can occur in some pets. Pets with other health issues may be more sensitive to the medicine than others.
While this is true, the tablets are widely perscribed by vets in lower doses for cats, cutting the pills into 1/4s.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I edited my post. Cerenia tablets are approved for use in dogs but many vets use it for cats as well, just at much lower dose like half a pill or less.

TootsRx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also think that there may be a link between Cerenia and seizures. My 15 year old cat went to the emergency vet in Jan for IBD/lymphoma symptoms. She was given multiple IV meds over her 3 day stay. When she came home, she was ticking/twitching really bad. She had no history of seizures prior to this. I called the vet to ask, and they said nothing they gave her should be causing this. She continued to tick (eyes, ears, whiskers twitching) for 3 weeks. Then, she had a full blown seizure - convulsing on the floor, running in place, drooling, urinating, confused afterward. She came out of it & was fine about 30 minutes later. 2 weeks later, she had another big seizure. This time, it was triggered by noise (tongue clicking). I started researching seizures in older cats & came across FARS, which is induced by specific noises. Her first seizure was triggered by keys clanging. She was seizure free until June. I say that, but she still ticks. She had a big seizure the day after I gave her Cerenia. 3 weeks later (yesterday), she had another big seizure, one day after Cerenia. I'm not saying Cerenia caused the last 2 seizures, but it may lower the seizure threshold. Noise still triggered at least the last one (buttons clicking on the remote). My 15 year old male takes Cerenia without any side effects. I guess my plan is to hold off on giving her Cerenia next time I think she needs it, and wait to see if she still has a seizure. Maybe she vomits & stops eating before the seizure comes? No idea, but staying away from the med for now. We'll see!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't surprise me that seizures are a possibility with Cerenia, especially in older cats who have chronic health issues. It works by altering brain chemistry so if a cat's seizure thresh hold is lower then average that could cause a seizure.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is scary. My Patches was on cerenia for a while a few weeks back. Fortunately, her kidneys are good.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bumping an old post.

Thank you for posting this. My kitty has been prescribed this as a pill to help her tummy while on Dioxycycline. I was reading online about how pills not approved for cats and although this vet is exceptionally intelligent - I'm not liking what I am reading here and online. She had one dose last night and that will be the last she sees of it.

Other posts about the med here show reactions as well...

She's not throwing up her tummy is nauseated from the medication.

I think I will skip Cerenia and find another way. Extra food seems to help her. I'd rather deal with helping her loss a tiny bit of extra weight she might gain than risk this.

Thank you again!