Warming up?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I see many warming up their raw, or recommend feeding at room temp, is there any reason for that? I've always given it right out of the fridge, sometimes still a bit frozen and she's never had an issue, I feed the ferrets that way and had started just trying whatever they eat on her and never changed that routine. I had tried warming up the meats she's refused to entice her but it never worked anyways.

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey you must have read my last post on another thread! I freeze the raw food for a minium of three days to kill off any "nasties" lurking in there. Unlikley as i am luckly enough to live on a street that has excellent butchers and even a poultry shop. They have three different types of poultry liver on display - people make their own pate around here...
Anyway i heat it in a bowl of hot tap water to get it to body temp or "mouse temp"!!! Its just more palatable that way. Gilbert would hate anything fridge cold. How are you getting on with the raw feeding? Gilbert bolted his rabbit tonight so fast that he threw it back up within ten mins. Going to take Aunite Crazys advice to slow him down. He loves it so much that i am hoping that he will be ready to eat it off the bone soon

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do you get it at room temperature without a microwave and without warm water. I would like to get Neko on raw but she's super picky and prefers it not to be cold
We don't have a microwave and our hot water takes FOREVER to come out of the faucet! Is it safe to leave in a covered container for a while before feeding? Petey doesn't care and gobbles up his cold raw

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silva_unt

How do you get it at room temperature without a microwave and without warm water. I would like to get Neko on raw but she's super picky and prefers it not to be cold
We don't have a microwave and our hot water takes FOREVER to come out of the faucet! Is it safe to leave in a covered container for a while before feeding? Petey doesn't care and gobbles up his cold raw
Never microwave raw foods meant for your cats (or ferrets); as soon as the microwave turns on, the nutritional quality of the food begins to degrade. Even if you're just "warming" it, from a nutritional perspective, you're cooking it with the microwaves.

Given that feral cats will eat for dinner what they buried that morning after breakfast, I think leaving a container of food on the counter to come to room temp would be no problem at all.... that is, if your cats don't figure out what's in the container first.

Regards!

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had just ran some under warm water while still in the bag, but she wasn't anymore interested in it anyways. I tried it with a few whole prey things since she eats mice, so I thought maybe if the other things were warm she would be more inclined to try it. No go anyways. The ferrets really don't care, theirs is always cold. As far as switching, going pretty good, I've discovered she only really likes turkey organs. She turned her nose up at chicken hearts and pork liver, but this afternoon ate both those organs from a turkey. She had duck this morning, but wasn't interested until I flipped it over and actually showed her it was meat, then it was edible. The other side was all fatty and she didn't think it was food. The nice thing with raw, is I can give her large chunks and even if she eats a ton, she doesn't throw it back up like she would kibble. She'll just eat what she wants and finish the rest later. Tomorrow is mice day, I breed them so they are plenty fresh and warm, this is everybody's favorite meal.

saitenyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always warm mine up, because my cats are picky and won't touch it if it's cold. Except for chicken. They'll eat that regardless.

I also want to make sure it's totally defrosted, since Athena vomits if her food is too cold.

I just fill a bowl with warm water and let the baggy of food sit in there for a few minutes. If you can't get hot water out of your faucet, warming some water on the stove (not to a boiling point where it'd cook the meat, just warm) and them removing it from the stove and sticking the bag of food in after might do the trick.