Wants Attention but Won't Stay Still

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Wren enjoys attention. But whenever I'm petting her she won't stay still, which can be annoying.

Does anybody have cats like this?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had a cat that will never be still petting, but I have had cats that would only be still occasionally and never with people they didn't know very well.  I think it can be when they want contact and enjoy it but are still too unsure of their suroundings or people to fully relax.  I had one little cat that didn't settle being held or contained in any way but did eventually relax and curl in close to let me stroke and pet her.  She loved being petted but always had to be in control or she would start to panic.  Very occasionally she would climb on my lap (or one or two other people she knew really well) as she got older but tended to only stay there a short time.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 2 both have their moments where they wiggle and turn and what not while I pet them.  Mostly Mooch.  When Noodles is like that; I know she wants food!  Mooch has just always been this way.  But she does usually settle down after a few minutes.  She has hurt me a few times and it can be uncomfortable when she is trying to keep her balance on me.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
how old is your kitty? my charlie is 6 months now. He'll come to me for pets and he'll be purring, but when i pet him, he stand still for only 5 seconds tops, then he runs off and lives his kitty life. He wasn't always like this, but I guess as he's getting older, he wants to be more independent. i wouldn't say its anything to worry about. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Does she enjoy brushing?  One of my cats loves attention, she will come up and head-butt me but is the same way as yours--she won't sit still for petting.  But she LOVES being brushed!  She still wriggles around but with the brush I can get her to hang out a lot longer than just petting.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Does she enjoy brushing?  One of my cats loves attention, she will come up and head-butt me but is the same way as yours--she won't sit still for petting.  But she LOVES being brushed!  She still wriggles around but with the brush I can get her to hang out a lot longer than just petting.
LOL. Its funny you say this. My Jet is like that. She's a cuddle bug tho. She's always wanting to be carried and pet and loved on. but whens he starts to wriggle away, i pull out the brush to milk an extra few minutes haha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My 2 both have their moments where they wiggle and turn and what not while I pet them.  Mostly Mooch.  When Noodles is like that; I know she wants food!  Mooch has just always been this way.  But she does usually settle down after a few minutes.  She has hurt me a few times and it can be uncomfortable when she is trying to keep her balance on me.
The way you described it, "wiggle and turn", is very much like Wren. She'll go in circles as I rub her back, she'll flop on her side as I start to rub her chin. The only time she'll stay still is while rubbing her belly, which would be no longer than 30 seconds.

Sometimes I wonder if she could actually be begging for wet food she loves it so much, even though I feed her 1 can a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I decided to try brushing Wren to see if she's no longer afraid. When I went over to her she started sniffing the bristles and then rubbed her face against them. I started brushing her back as I rubbed her chin and she stayed still much more!

Just a few minutes ago I was in the living room where there's a chair Wren will make herself comfy on. This time I saw her cozy and asleep and she never came over to me to start meowing for attention!

Now I know what to do.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I decided to try brushing Wren to see if she's no longer afraid. When I went over to her she started sniffing the bristles and then rubbed her face against them. I started brushing her back as I rubbed her chin and she stayed still much more!

Just a few minutes ago I was in the living room where there's a chair Wren will make herself comfy on. This time I saw her cozy and asleep and she never came over to me to start meowing for attention!

Now I know what to do.
  That's great.