Wanting Information Please

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello good afternoon i am gonna be taking my fur kitty in a couple of weeks to get neutered and i was wondering if i should use regular litter or the recycled news paper called yesterdays news the vet said i can use regular litter but i am afraid its gonna hurt his boo boo can anyone tell me what you have used for your feline friends after spaying and neutering them thank you so very much

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A neuter is not very complicated. He shouldn't need any special litter or any other accommodations, except to keep an eye out for infection (that's a small risk but still keep an eye on it).

I think the suggestion to use different litter become standard advice when most cats were de-clawed at the same time as spaying/neutering. A newly de-clawed cat is in a lot of pain and needs special litter to prevent infection and extra pain. Fortunately de-clawing is not as common as it used to be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A neuter is not very complicated. He shouldn't need any special litter or any other accommodations, except to keep an eye out for infection (that's a small risk but still keep an eye on it).

I think the suggestion to use different litter become standard advice when most cats were de-clawed at the same time as spaying/neutering. A newly de-clawed cat is in a lot of pain and needs special litter to prevent infection and extra pain. Fortunately de-clawing is not as common as it used to be.
Thank you so much i was just worried that standard litter would cause pain or burning sensation he is a stray i took in just before winter hit and i need to get him neutered so he doesnt spray my house he still goes outside almost everyday i really hope he stays around home after i get him fixed but the vet said since he was use to being outside i should continue letting him out for now so he wont spray my home. He is about 1 or 1 1/2 years old do you know how long it will take him to not have the urge to spray anymore? Thank you again

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hormones should be reduced after a month or so.

Try to keep him inside for at least 3 days after neutering so you can keep an eye out for signs of infection. Feral males get released right away so it's not terrible if you can't make him stay in, but try anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The hormones should be reduced after a month or so.

Try to keep him inside for at least 3 days after neutering so you can keep an eye out for signs of infection. Feral males get released right away so it's not terrible if you can't make him stay in, but try anyway.
Oh i definately plan on keeping him in. the neighborhood i live in has a very big feral cat colony i dont want him getting in to a fight so i am just hoping he wont try and go out. Unfortunately my area that i live in doesnt have the TNR program i wish they did because there is so many cats around here its bad and i know you cant save them all but it breaks my heart to see all these fur babies with no place to go i live in michigan so we have some very cold winters. I did manage to save 2 my aunt took one and i took one but i couldnt take in any more than that my husband wont let me lol. Thank you so much for all your help and great information