want to try raw food due to my kitties severe allergies but completely overwhelmed and confused

jennifer505

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted this on the health board and to give some back ground on why I want to try raw:

My cat is now about 14 months old. After he got neurtered (6 months) he started with the constant scratching on his head and neck. My vet told me is it probably food allergies. He started on Hill D/D, then Hills Z/D and now on prescription food from Royal Canine. He scratches to a point that he has sores all over his neck and head. So bad sometimes they will bleed. I take him to the vet about 2-3 times a month where he will receive 3 shots: Allergy, antibiotic and steroid. Nothing help with the presciption food so I took him to an animal allergist. They found nothing wrong with him and also said it is probably food allergies and it could take awhile until I find the right formula. Well a couple months later I had him tested for allergies. Indoor and outdoor panel. He is allergic to about 25 different things THe indoor showed that he is highly allergic to cat dander and dust, chicken, pork. (so he is a cat allergic to himself...makes no sense!!!) He is midly allergic to other things too. I give him his allergy shots as precribed. The shots have been going on for almost 2 months and I see no improvement. A week ago he had scratched his head so bad he delevoped an infection in his skin. The infection also went into his eye. It was the weekend so I took him to the animal hospital. He is fine now with the steroid shot and antibiotics. I am completely lost and frustrated. My vet has an excellent reputation and pretty much said he has the worst allergies he has seen ever. I have spent thousands of dollars on him and he is only 14 months old. I have tried bathing him for the allergy to cat dander but he clawes the heck out of me. I have 2 air purifiers for the dust allergy. He had a blood test and all his organs are within normal range. Negative for feline FIV and Leukemia. He does not have mites. He is on flea control although he never goes outside. Do anyone have any suggestions???? I don't know what else I can possibly do.

I am completely overwhelmed on all the info on raw feeding. I have spent days reading posts and the more I read the more overwhelmed I am.  I read some posts where people mentioned "real raw" feeding compared to other raw feeding. What is the difference in raw? Is there a difference.  Anotherwards, after researching different brands and what my cat is not allergic to I decided on Stella and Chewys.  But then I read a couple posts where people were saying it is not real raw feeding.  I would like to buy something that is prepared.  Where I can just feed my cat what I buy.  I really don't think I would have the time to buy food at the grocery store and prepare myself.  I work an enormous amount of hours and I usually don't even have time to cook for myself.  My cat is also so picky.  He not allergic to fish.  One time I bought fresh salmon and tried to feed it to him and the juices. He took one smell of it and walked away.  He even snubbed at Tuna.  I mainly want to try raw because my cat is not getting better with his allergies.  He is back on daily meds, shots etc.  That in itself is so time consuming for me.  Anyways, can someone break all this raw feeding information into something simple.  Is there a website that does not have information overload?  I just want the basics so I can order some food for him right away.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh your poor little fella! He sounds like he needs help fast!

I'll just quickly say that starting with Stella and Chewys would be just fine. It absolutely is *real* raw food. I don't know why anyone would say otherwise unless they were referring to it being freeze dried. Just rehydrate it. All my cats love it. 

Any of the other prepared raw foods you find will be fine also. Starting with those is a great way to get past the "overwhelmed" feeling most of us, including me, get when first starting to feed raw.

I know others will pop in with more information and support. Please feel free to ask lots of questions!

burretje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd go for an elimination diet with your cat. This means you feed only one source of animal protein for 6 to 8 weeks. You should preferably start with a species he has nog eaten before (and he is not allergic to, so no chicken). If this goes well, you can slowly start introducing other species one by one. 

So you should look for commercial raw that consists of only one species (for example duckmeat, duckbones and duckorgans in the proper percentages). These are excellent to start a elimination diet with. I don't know any of the American brands, so I cannot help you with that. Just make sure the commercial diet is supplemented, since feeding only one species can never be complete. Also make sure that it contains no added rice, grains and stuff like that, since they can also cause allergies. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know there is tons of information out there, but don't know what you have already read, so don't know where to send you that might be considered "basic".  Maybe it would be better if you just asked specific questions.  There definitely ARE complete raw meals out there that are one single protein, like Radcat chicken, Radcat turkey and Radcat lamb. One of mine will only eat Radcat lamb, even though he doesn't have allergies.  He's just picky
.   I believe most commercial raw meals are grain free, but most DO include a small amount of fruits and vegies.  Radcat does not, if that is an issue.

You can also order single proteins from places like Hare-Today.com and mix in supplements to make them complete.  (they sell the supplement along with the meat)

Stella and Chewy's is definitely raw, but it's called "safe" raw, which means (I guess) that it can be handled without having to wash your hands 15 times, and doesn't required refrigeration, etc.  It looks like dry food because it's been freeze dried.  It's all in the way it's processed, and it's also very expensive!  (but you CAN buy the Stella and Chewy's DOG products...probably cheaper and has the taurine in it that cats need...lots of us do that)   Most cats really like it, as opposed to "real" raw meat, and by that I mean what must be refrigerated or frozen.  Lots of cats do not understand that it's actually food!  I have a freezer full of different proteins that none of my cats will eat...rabbit, duck, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, etc.  Mine are extremely picky eaters.  But one of them loves beef!   Figures...who ever heard of a cat taking down a cow?  And cats in nature eat birds, right?  But none of mine like any raw bird product so far!  Weird.  Oh well.  Finding something your furbaby will eat and can tolerate may be easy, may be hard.  But I agree that you should definitely start with a single protein and go from there.

Please ask questions and we'll try to answer them. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most easily available commercial raw foods are ALL balanced and complete. It's just like feeding canned food, only you dethaw it first. It makes it easy to feed raw while you learn more about it.

I want to add that MANY cats that are allergic to a protein in a canned food turn out to not be allergic to that protein when it is raw. Carolina's Bugsy is horribly allergic to chicken in canned food. If she feeds him raw, vegetarian-fed OR organic chicken, he has no problem with it.

Stella & Chewy's IS raw, and it's a great place to start. It's more expensive than almost all other options, but most cats like it right away, and the dehydrated chicken cat food is a single source protein, as is the beef. The others are mixed proteins. Of course - in the raw, that may be fine. :nod:

Nature's Variety is a frozen raw food, also usually really easy to locate. The problem with NV is that they mix proteins. Now, I'm guessing that it won't be a problem, because in raw form, most cats that are allergic to something canned aren't allergic to it raw. But read ingredients.

The BEST cat food, often has to be ordered online because it's not widely distributed, is Rad Cat. Most cats love this food, especially during a transition to raw. It's a high quality food, and all single source proteins.

But given your baby's history, I'd work on switching to raw and as soon as possible. The Stella & Chewy's freeze dried is a pretty quick way to get started. Just rehydrate it (AND a few pieces dry can be given as a treat). If they like it, that makes it easy to add other frozen products.

Some cats don't recognize raw as food. The S&C dehyrated helps with this, because it smells more like canned and has a consistency similar to canned when rehydrated. If they like it, you can crumble a dehydrated piece on top of a new raw food you want to try, to help them understand it's food, and hopefully they'll just dig in.

It is a good idea to introduce new proteins on raw slowly at first. If they eat the S&C chicken well, if you add beef, try making it just 25% of the first meal and see what happens. Switching cats on raw food to new proteins is more like transitioning to a new kibble. It can take their tummies some adjustment, because digestive enzymes needed to digest raw are different than what they needed for kibble or canned. :D

Aw, your poor baby!

Please - ask ANY questions, and we'll try to help!

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oftentimes cats are more allergic to whatever the meat source was fed rather than to the meat itself. It might be worth a gamble to get vegetarian fed or organic chicken and try it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennifer505

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. It helped.  I ordered some Radcat.  Also, my vet thinks my kitty has an autoimmune disorder.  Is there a good probiotic that anyone can recommend?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat that is FIV+, a kitty that has cancer and completed chemotherapy in January, and a kitty with an autoimmune disorder that causes anemia.

I use a human supplement, Natural Factors Acidophilus+Bifidus (double strength). I buy it from the refrigerated section of the health food store. It's the one hubby and I take as well. :lol3: I sprinkle one capsule on the cats' food at one meal a day. :)

lopeinthed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow...this was so sad to me and I never reply to these sorts of things...too busy:)

However, my heart hurt for you.  I have been feeding cats and dogs raw for close to 10 years now...with great success!  My current boy is a black doll faced persian who is my boy, gorgeous and silly as can be!  Full of character and energy.  No flea or worm meds, no vet visits...When I have been to the vet, the are shocked at his age, appearance, and condition and DO NOT want to hear about raw food.  Understandable profit issue.

I have tons of suggestions, but first with the skin issues.  Stop the flea meds -  garlic and brewers yeast added to the raw food will take care of this and any worms as well as help the skin.  For the current condition, look into neem oil, (http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-for-cats.html) this oil is wonderful for so many things...just understand that it stinks terrible...but well worth it...it goes away.

I have mixed a combo of foods for my cats, I am not sure how you will be open to raw meat and preparing this...but let me know if you would like more information before I type for an hour.  

NONETHELESS, all the best for your kitty!