Want To Make Cat And Family Bond Better

Potato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a new kitten who was weined from mother(from what we were told) but after having cat from 8 weeks old or so until about 10 months now, she is still distant unless its time for her to cuddle. Which, most of the the time, would be now as in the middle of the night. We have been curious since day 1. She loves food and is overly excited at any time no matter how much she has eaten. Only snuggles Us by our feet or mostly to our hip when she is ready. She needs and suckles on blankets sometimes when you pet her but most of the time as wild and tries to play 24/7. Our cat is well-loved and I am sure that she knows of it but why is she not more affectionate? She wakes up in the middle of the night just like right now but she doesn't want to be snuggled she wants to either play or attack or feet constantly. When we finally go to bed sometimes she snuggles. How do we help to acclimate her?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a very normal active kitten in her teen years. Most have way too much to do and get into to take time for humans so the best time to cuddle them is when they are falling asleep or sleeping. Scoop her up onto your lap, softly pet her and then let her sleep up against you for a while and soon she will be seeking you out when she is ready to snuggle and nap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you we will try that!
She sounds like a very normal active kitten in her teen years. Most have way too much to do and get into to take time for humans so the best time to cuddle them is when they are falling asleep or sleeping. Scoop her up onto your lap, softly pet her and then let her sleep up against you for a while and soon she will be seeking you out when she is ready to snuggle and nap.

Katykan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 month kitten with the same problem. She loves to play, eat, and attack feet! We have a great relationship and she is well loved and I know she loves me too. But the times when I want to cuddle (morning and night) are when she is most energized and least in need of cuddles! Haha. So my time to bond with her is on the weekends in the afternoon when she is sleepy. I will always wait for her to seek me out, or like the other user said, wait until she’s already sleepy and plop her on my lap. We get a good amount of snuggling in. But yeah, overall, I think both of our cats are going through a wild teenage phase and will come around eventually, especially when they know they are loved!

Katykan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and I understand your plight about wanting your cat to bond better with family. I have friends who don't particularly like my cat because they want her to be CHILL and CUDDLE WITH THEM. I try to remind them that she's not like a dog. And I try to encourage them to enjoy her quirkiness and craziness like I do :) Soon she will be a boring old cat! They hear this out, but they'll still try to pick her up and cuddle with her and get sad when she immediately jumps out of their arms and nibbles their feet. Hahah!