Wanna be raw/home-made cat foodie

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand you so very well. I've been feeding commercial raw for more than a year now, it's more than a half of their diet at the moment (other being many brands of canned - I always focus on variety), they've been thriving on it but my goal has always been homemade raw; I've been researching for so long and I still don't feel ready and I'm afraid I will mess things up. Never in my life I've prepared meat for any animal, humans included, and I think that's what makes it so difficult. But I've tried the meat with premade supplements and it's good alternative and super easy even for inexperienced people and you don't need full equipment: I used food processor for some parts of meat and I cut the majority, I want them to bite the chunks as much as possible. But ground might appeal much more to meat eaters that never practiced how to bite, as weird as it sounds.

If you live anywhere close to Seattle or Olympia, and you consider commercial frozen raw just to see if they like it, I highly recommend brands that I buy: Natural Pet Pantry and Wild Coast Raw. My cats go crazy for this food and after a year I can say I trust their recipes (I do have trust issues when it comes to pet food manufacturers...). I'd totally keep feeding this food and stop thinking about homemade if it was cheaper - right now cost is my biggest motivator to start preparing on my own. Anyway I think you can buy their food in smaller pet shops anywhere in WA (not sure about other PNW states), they should be able to order it even if they don't stock it.
ALso, Darwin's is local to our region, I'm not sure if they still have introductory package but that was excellent deal. The problem with Darwin's though is that Chicken and Turkey flavours are not boneless, only Lamb is, so I feed it occasionally only.

And just to mention, my girl was not excited at all when I first started to feed them commercial raw. I think the texture or some organs bothered her, and it took me several weeks (months?) to transition her to it. It's hard to imagine that now when I see how extremely happy she is when she's about to get raw. By far it's her favourite type of food. The transition effort is so worth it.

My boy used to be a kibble addict when I got him (luckily he was very young and I managed to make him eat wet with pleasure) and to this day he's extremely happy when he sees anything crunchy. They get freeze dried snacks and to experiment, I fed them freeze dried that I didn't rehydrate as a full meal and I don't recommend this solution mainly because of one observation that I had: it didn't make them drink more. As bad as regular dry is, it used to make my cats drink, even my sworn not drinker drunk a bit when he got it. I'm guessing it's because of salt or any other additive, I don't even want to know what they add. But after dry freeze dried, nothing, they didn't go near the water at all, which worried me a lot and I decided to stop experimenting with that. I think your best bet on transitioning him from kibble is stop giving it to him :( and even stop having it at your house so that he can't smell it. That's the only way that worked with my boy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
then try a pinkie mouse from the reptile section of your local pet store. It's only going to set you back a dollar and a half or so and your kitty will LOVE you if s/he takes to it.
I have to try this, although when I showed Poppycat the poor little still alive unfledged baby bird that ended up on the ground in our yard a couple years ago, he sniffed it, looked at me with a "what the heck??" look, walked away a few steps and sat down LOL

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But I've tried the meat with premade supplements and it's good alternative and super easy even for inexperienced people and you don't need full equipment: I used food processor for some parts of meat and I cut the majority, I want them to bite the chunks as much as possible.
This is about like me! (Though I make cooked food, not raw.) Like She's a witch She's a witch , I like to leave some of the meat in slightly larger pieces so the cats have to bite a little, not just slurp up their food. They get enough mushy food in their commercial meals!

A couple things about the Alnutrin and EZ supplements:
-EZ contains a calcium source and is only used with boneless meat, meaning no bone to grint
-Alnutrin sells multiple supplements: some have a calcium source, some don't, meaning not all their supplements are for meat and bone
-EZ contains liver but Alnutrin does not
-Liver is the worst part of making Alnutrin but if you measure it out in advance and freeze the chunks, it's okay! Alnutrin has guidelines on how much to weigh out so there's no guesswork.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand you so very well. I've been feeding commercial raw for more than a year now, it's more than a half of their diet at the moment (other being many brands of canned - I always focus on variety), they've been thriving on it but my goal has always been homemade raw; I've been researching for so long and I still don't feel ready and I'm afraid I will mess things up. Never in my life I've prepared meat for any animal, humans included, and I think that's what makes it so difficult. But I've tried the meat with premade supplements and it's good alternative and super easy even for inexperienced people and you don't need full equipment: I used food processor for some parts of meat and I cut the majority, I want them to bite the chunks as much as possible. But ground might appeal much more to meat eaters that never practiced how to bite, as weird as it sounds.

If you live anywhere close to Seattle or Olympia, and you consider commercial frozen raw just to see if they like it, I highly recommend brands that I buy: Natural Pet Pantry and Wild Coast Raw. My cats go crazy for this food and after a year I can say I trust their recipes (I do have trust issues when it comes to pet food manufacturers...). I'd totally keep feeding this food and stop thinking about homemade if it was cheaper - right now cost is my biggest motivator to start preparing on my own. Anyway I think you can buy their food in smaller pet shops anywhere in WA (not sure about other PNW states), they should be able to order it even if they don't stock it.
ALso, Darwin's is local to our region, I'm not sure if they still have introductory package but that was excellent deal. The problem with Darwin's though is that Chicken and Turkey flavours are not boneless, only Lamb is, so I feed it occasionally only.

And just to mention, my girl was not excited at all when I first started to feed them commercial raw. I think the texture or some organs bothered her, and it took me several weeks (months?) to transition her to it. It's hard to imagine that now when I see how extremely happy she is when she's about to get raw. By far it's her favourite type of food. The transition effort is so worth it.

My boy used to be a kibble addict when I got him (luckily he was very young and I managed to make him eat wet with pleasure) and to this day he's extremely happy when he sees anything crunchy. They get freeze dried snacks and to experiment, I fed them freeze dried that I didn't rehydrate as a full meal and I don't recommend this solution mainly because of one observation that I had: it didn't make them drink more. As bad as regular dry is, it used to make my cats drink, even my sworn not drinker drunk a bit when he got it. I'm guessing it's because of salt or any other additive, I don't even want to know what they add. But after dry freeze dried, nothing, they didn't go near the water at all, which worried me a lot and I decided to stop experimenting with that. I think your best bet on transitioning him from kibble is stop giving it to him :( and even stop having it at your house so that he can't smell it. That's the only way that worked with my boy.
I'm in Oregon. I have not seen the brands you mention, there are only a couple I see in pet stores here, and the one raw prepared food I have been getting is the NW naturals brand rabbit nuggets. I feel like all the raw foods I find have bone. . .but it's not that they can't have bone in every meal is it? IT's more about percentage? Agh. That's one reason I haven't switched to all prepared raw (besides cost) is I feel there is a lot of difference between brands and I just haven't figured out how to weigh and judge all that yet. But right now that raw rabbit is like 20% of their overall diet.
Canned wet is probably 75% and the rest is kibble.

I think my boy kitten would eat anything I put down, he has a huge appetite and isn't picky. But my girl kitten (8 months) has always been picky. . .if she doesn't like what I put down she will refuse it and just wait it out till the next meal. And the stuff she likes best is the kibble or the tikicat. . .or when I give her rotisserie chicken! I think you are right though, that I just have to not buy the kibble at all. . .they go into the pantry and try to open the container it's in. :rolleyes:

So what is the precaution with added bone in the raw food?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Oregon. I have not seen the brands you mention, there are only a couple I see in pet stores here, and the one raw prepared food I have been getting is the NW naturals brand rabbit nuggets. I feel like all the raw foods I find have bone. . .but it's not that they can't have bone in every meal is it? IT's more about percentage? Agh. That's one reason I haven't switched to all prepared raw (besides cost) is I feel there is a lot of difference between brands and I just haven't figured out how to weigh and judge all that yet. But right now that raw rabbit is like 20% of their overall diet.
Canned wet is probably 75% and the rest is kibble.

I think my boy kitten would eat anything I put down, he has a huge appetite and isn't picky. But my girl kitten (8 months) has always been picky. . .if she doesn't like what I put down she will refuse it and just wait it out till the next meal. And the stuff she likes best is the kibble or the tikicat. . .or when I give her rotisserie chicken! I think you are right though, that I just have to not buy the kibble at all. . .they go into the pantry and try to open the container it's in. :rolleyes:

So what is the precaution with added bone in the raw food?
The thing with commercial raw food is that bone is cheap and meat is expensive. They want to increase the bottom line so bone percentage tend to be on the higher side. This leads to too much calcium which can cause constipation and too much phosphorus. High phosphorus hurts aging kidneys. And I believe a calcium to phosphorus is of some importance as well. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I believe the medallions don't have bone for Stella and Chewys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The thing with commercial raw food is that bone is cheap and meat is expensive. They want to increase the bottom line so bone percentage tend to be on the higher side. This leads to too much calcium which can cause constipation and too much phosphorus. High phosphorus hurts aging kidneys. And I believe a calcium to phosphorus is of some importance as well. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I believe the medallions don't have bone for Stella and Chewys.
[/URL]
Ok thanks, that makes sense. They certainly don't get too much bone now since raw isn't their whole diet. But I will be careful about that as I go. And I just ordered some stella and chewys for them to try!!

At this point I am more worried they would be getting too much organ meat since it seems that everything I have bought has added liver. . .but again I know it's about percentages. . .so I'll just have to pay attention to labels.

This is why people just put our kibble and don't worry about it! :p

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks, that makes sense. They certainly don't get too much bone now since raw isn't their whole diet. But I will be careful about that as I go. And I just ordered some stella and chewys for them to try!!

At this point I am more worried they would be getting too much organ meat since it seems that everything I have bought has added liver. . .but again I know it's about percentages. . .so I'll just have to pay attention to labels.

This is why people just put our kibble and don't worry about it! :p
Well just because they get some organ meat from every source doesn't mean it's wrong. I have 3 recipes and they all have organ meat. :) Thing with canned is that a lot of them have high phosphorus too. It's also definitely possible for dry food have too much phosphorus as well. But with dry food you're really risking the kidneys of the cat because they really need moisture in their food.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am super curious about this whole mice and rats thing!!!! It seems like the absolute most species appropriate diet. . .but how does it work? I assume you buy them dead? And. . .?
Breeding them is an option as well, a lot of reptile breeders have tutorials on breeding & humanly killing mice/rats to feed pets and rats are pretty managabe, plus it'd no doubt save money

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I buy culls from a pet breeder who is actively working on the health and temperament of her strains. We had a bit of an emergency when one of her little rattie boys, who she was planning on using for stud, turned out to have a fatal congenital colon condition and he needed a CO2 tank to ease his transition to the afterworld.

It was $400, which she really couldn't afford, but I couldn't afford to support pet food companies instead of a fellow pet lover when I found out what happened. Cervical dislocation is not recommended for rats the size of this guy. It was an emergency and I was glad to be able to help.

I found my supplier through Craig's List and unusual good fortune, but if anyone else wants to go the xtreme humanely raised and euthanized route, it might be worth looking for a reputable pet rodent breeder through one of these organizations:

On a purely practical note, pet breeders use a higher grade of food and the difference was obvious when I had to use Petco feeders in an emergency. Rodents have large litters and short little lives. There simply weren't enough reptile owners in my area to keep the rodentry sustainable.

4-H clubs might be worth looking into for rabbit.