Walking

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my cat about three months back. She is 4 months old. Recently I got a harness and leash to walk her. I left the harness on her for sometime and she seemed to be okay with it. I've taken her out about 5 times now and all she does is eat grass and weeds. We never been past the front yard. She doesn't follow if I tug the leash. Even if I lift her up and put her somewhere else she walks back to some grass or weeds. Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had an older kitten did exactly the same thing. He was maybe 8 months old and took very well to the leash and harness, but was only interested in eating grass and swatting at tree branches when I took him outside. He was very afraid of cars and other people, so it was pretty unlikely I could ever get him to leave the safety of the yard without seriously stressing him out. You need to remember that cats are not like dogs, and do not have the same instinct to walk along a path with their humans. Sometimes they can be coaxed down a path with treats, and doing this consistently over time will eventually teach them to walk with you along paths. Sometimes cats will never learn this behavior, and only be interested in sniffing at things and walking a few paces/rolling around in the dirt then packing up and going home. Every cat is different. It's possible that taking her somewhere else besides the yard will alter her behavior. She may be more interested in exploring a walking path or a woodsy hiking path, for example.

The number one thing I hear over and over again from people who have "serious adventure cats" (hiking, camping, rafting, etc) is that cats take things at their own pace. Part of the joy of having an adventure cat is the fact that they make you slow down and appreciate things you would never notice otherwise. Many of these owners strike a compromise between carrying their cats in a backpack or on their shoulders when they want to cover some serious ground, then letting their cat down and going much slower when they reach a good spot. Unfortunately, your kitty is going to decide what you do when you guys go outside - but that's also part of their charm.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been walking my cat for about a year and she does not walk along with me. She decides when and where we go, I just supervise. I do think you can get a cat to walk with you if you clicker train, but I haven't tried - I only clicker train inside. Outside I let her smell what she wants and eat grass as much as she wants.

You walk a dog, but a cat walks you.