Walking around the edge of the room

Tillyandmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 9 month old cat/kitten has started walking around the edge of the rooms, she used to just go through the middle to get to her destination but the last 2 days she has been walking around the the edges of the room to get to where she wants to go,
Is this normal cat behaviour.
I've had her 3 months now but when I got her she was an extremely jumpy cat and wouldn't come anywhere near me for nearly 4 weeks and believe me I tried everything, she would back of or run and hide, but then she came on heat and since then she has been 100 times better, although she drives me insane with the constant meows through the night and wants constant attention.
She has some quirky habits ie when she uses her litter tray she scrapes and then drags the tray liner over her business not the actual cat litter, then comes in to tell me very vocally to go and sort it out 🙈.
She sits or lays outside the bedroom door sometimes for 3 hours at a time and doesn't move.
I wake up in the morning and her toy has been left at the side of the bed but I find that my sock has gone missing at the same time (normally found in her bed)
walks around the house meowing but doesn't want attention and then other times won't leave me alone.
I'm presuming her behaviour is normal for a cat?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Most of what you are describing is normal cat behaviour. However, at 9 months of age she really needs to be spayed as soon as possible. Going in and out of heat isn't just noisy and annoying for you, it actually puts her health at risk. Every heat cycle increases her chances of developing pyometra or cancer.

Female cats in heat tend to spray urine to attract males. They will also try desperately to get outside and find a mate. She could get lost or injured outside. She could be injured during mating. She could be infected with FIV, FeLV, various other cat bourn diseases, pick up fleas, ticks or worms.

This article explains why it's so important to get her spayed.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walking around the perimeter of a room usually means they are leary about something. If it is recent, something new, or even another cat she saw out the window. Coming into heat definitely increases their wanting attention and even becoming clingy, watch out, she will definitely get outside if she has a chance. She could cycle into and out of heat every few weeks until she is bred, unlike dogs.
Thank you so much for giving her a home and making her life better, you will be blessed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tillyandmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's taken me 3 months to get an appointment with a vet for her jabs and microchip but they keep cancelling that.
I desperately want to get her spayed but finding it near Impossible to get an appointment for it as all of my local vets are not taking on new patients and now they are having vaccination issues and can't get them so are only dealing with emergency appointments again it's so frustrating so I have to keep waiting and re-booking
My poor girl has to keep going in and out of heat until I can get her an appointment.