Walk Your Cat

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Memphis took to his harness right away. I never had to teach him anything, because by the second time I brought him outside, he was walking on the leash as well as any dog I've owned.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie has been walking outside on a leash for 12 1/2 years. It's something we do every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. He's caught mice, a rat, a couple of birds, several garter snakes and countless insects (his favorites are dragonflies). The most important things are a good harness and reading material.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow Catapault.  This is exactly what we need for our cat. We've been talking about trying to take him for walks because he used to be a partial outdoor cat for his entire life, until we adopted him last year and we think he needs to be outside sometimes but in a controlled way.  He's also a very laid back and confident sort so I think he'd take to it rather easily.  He had never worn even a collar his whole life until we got him and when we placed it on him it didn't phase him very much at all so hopefully that harness wouldn't either.

I'm going to show that to my BF and see what he thinks about it.  Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the article/video! I really want to try walking my cat. I want to start getting her used to the harness and leash inside the house while it's snowing, and come spring/summer, train her to venture outside.